Thursday, July 23, 2015

Movie Release and Book Review: Paper Towns by John Green

I'm a huge fan of John Green, and when I saw his book The Fault in our Stars hit the big screen I thought the movie adaptation was amazing. So when it was announced that he has another novel being made into a movie, I immediately locked the date on my calendar!

Well, Paper Towns movie release is tomorrow - Friday, July 24, 2015, so I thought I'd share a bit about the book, my review, and the movie trailer. Enjoy!


Original Book Cover
Published: October 1, 2008
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

My Thoughts
Original Review Date: November 2010

thiS reView desErves A moMent oF ranDom capitaliZation

joHn greeN, i'M convinCed thiS stoRy Is abOut yoU. thEre Is nO wAy You cAn naiL tHe emoTions aNd thouGhts Of tHese Characters withoUt hAving experIenced somE Of thE aWesomeness fouNd In thIs boOk!!

Okay, back to normal...
Quentin's two best friends are Ben, a tragically confident first clarinet band geek that is trying to live down a kidney infection rumor, and Radar, a nerdtastic computer genius that spends most of his time editing Omnictionary posts and hiding the fact that his parents own the largest collection of black Santas. But, Quentin Jacobsen, aka Q, is just a regular high school guy that happens to fall for Margo Roth Spiegelman, an amazing, but complex girl, who crawls into his window one night dressed as a ninja and takes him on the adventure of his life. After that amazing night, he spends the rest of the school year trying to find this girl and figure out who she really is, but just ends up discovering that no matter how hard you try, you can’t make your fantasy into reality.

This story is heartwarming, humorous and an instant hit for me. Not to mention the extra wow factor found in Part III that included a road trip. That's right baaaayyyyybbbbeeee a road trip! The characters are loveable in that John Green magic sorta way, and the dialog is hilariously funny and engaging. There is no doubt this book deserves its accolades, and I can’t wait to see it translated to film.

Lastly, Green makes me terribly happy that I was born a girl because if his books are any indication of what goes through a teenage boy’s mind, I’d be in serious need of therapy. Great book that’s signature of Green’s ability to make you laugh out loud, cringe with chagrin and ponder things you never considered. Loved it!

Quotes that made me think
Isn't it also that on some fundamental level we find it difficult to understand that other people are human beings in the same way that we are? We idealize them as gods or dismiss them as animals.

What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.

I'm starting to realize that people lack good mirrors. It's so hard for anyone to show us how we look, and so hard for us to show anyone how we feel.

As much as life can suck, it always beats the alternative.

If you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.

Quotes that made me laugh and/or sigh
Tonight, darling, we are going to right a lot of wrongs. And we are going to wrong some rights. The first shall be last; the last shall be first; the meek shall do some earth-inheriting. But before we can radically reshape the world, we need to shop.

Peeing is like a good book in that it is very, very hard to stop once you start.

I stand in this parking lot, realizing that I’ve never been this far from home, and here is this girl I love and cannot follow. I hope this is the hero’s errand, because not following her is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.

Poetry is just so emo,' he said. 'Oh, the pain. The pain. It always rains. In my soul.

Dude, I don’t want to talk about Lacey’s prom shoes. And I’ll tell you why: I have this thing that makes me really uninterested in prom shoes. It’s called a pen!$.
4 Snowflakes

Movie Tie-in Edition Book Cover of Paper Towns
Be sure to let me know if you plan to see this movie! :)

4 comments:

  1. I've never finished a Green book (I find his voice kind of...annoying?), but I've heard great things about it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Bibliophile Babe. :) He might not be for everyone. I'm sure you're not the only one. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait for this movie either! I've seen all of the trailers and it seems really good!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it soon Laura! I'm looking forward to it. :)

      Delete