Monday, March 11, 2013

Review: Unremembered by Jessica Brody

Unremembered (Unremembered, #1) Unremembered by Jessica Brody
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, & Giroux (BYR)
Release date: March 5, 2013
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes and Noble
When Freedom Airlines flight 121 went down over the Pacific Ocean, no one ever expected to find survivors. Which is why the sixteen-year-old girl discovered floating among the wreckage—alive—is making headlines across the globe.

Even more strange is that her body is miraculously unharmed and she has no memories of boarding the plane. She has no memories of her life before the crash. She has no memories period. No one knows how she survived. No one knows why she wasn’t on the passenger manifest. And no one can explain why her DNA and fingerprints can’t be found in a single database in the world.

Crippled by a world she doesn’t know, plagued by abilities she doesn’t understand, and haunted by a looming threat she can’t remember, Seraphina struggles to piece together her forgotten past and discover who she really is. But with every clue only comes more questions. And she’s running out of time to answer them.

Her only hope is a strangely alluring boy who claims to know her from before the crash. Who claims they were in love. But can she really trust him? And will he be able to protect her from the people who have been making her forget?

From popular young adult author Jessica Brody comes a compelling and suspenseful new sci-fi series, set in a world where science knows no boundaries, memories are manipulated, and true love can never be forgotten.
My Thoughts:
I'm beginning to really enjoy books where the main characters have lost their memories and Unremembered is about just that.  This book was another fun addition to the whole memory loss, government agency group but it does have a twist that will blow you away.

Violet (that is the name given to her by a nurse) wakes up with no memory of who she is or where she came from.  She is found in the middle of a plane wreck and is the only survivor.  Nobody understands how she survived and unfortunately no one has any answers as to who she is.  Violet knows that she needs to get out of the hospital and work towards getting her memories back, but when a boy starts popping up things don't go as planned and she finds out that she is not your ordinary girl.  With the help of her 13 year old foster brother and Zen a boy from her past she uncovers so many crazy things about her life that you will just have to read to believe.

Unremembered was an interesting book.  It was a very quick read and even though I felt that the pacing was a little slow for me I was still intrigued and glued to the pages.  Violet (I am going to keep calling her that since her name is sorta spoilery) was a likable character, but I kept waiting for her to turn into a kickarse heroine. There were several scenes where she could have opened up a can of whoopbookies but she didn't and I was a little disappointed.  In the story we do find out why this is, but I would have preferred her to be a little stronger.  In the end she did come through but it was in a very unexpected way that was perfect for her character.  Zen was a great addition as well.  He was there for Violet and helped her solve the mystery of her life.  Again though I just wanted a little more from him.  I liked their scenes together, they were sweet and I am really hoping that we get to see more of a romance between the two if there is a sequel planned.  The ending is open enough to have one so I have my fingers crossed.

The story itself was pretty good as well.  I totally didn't see the twist coming and I felt like it was a brilliant move by the author. This twist will help Unremembered stand out in a crowd that is quickly becoming overrun with books that are very similar to this one.  I really can't say much about the story since the things I would say are spoilery.  Not much happens through the first 1/2 but when we are finally given answers to the questions of who she is, where she comes from, and why is she here things get a lot more interesting.  I will say that I am a little confused as what her role was at Diotech (her home).  We never get to see exactly what she did there so I am hoping that if there is a sequel we will also get to know more about her role and why she is so important.

Like I said in the beginning I a m quickly becoming fan of this type of book and Unremembered is a wonderful addition to my collection.

3.5 snowflakes




4 comments:

  1. There are some days where I wish I could claim memory loss or be a really darn good actress and pretend I have no idea what the crazy people are talking about LOL!

    Great review, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading this one a few hours ago and LOVED IT! The twist I had not seen coming but at the same time everyone was making such a big deal about it I was definetly expecting it to be more POWERFUL! But i still hadnt seen it coming at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am glad you loved it! I totally didn't see that ending either! It was a great addition to the story =) Did you figure out what her role was at Diotech?? That has been bugging me!

      Delete