Saturday, March 16, 2013

Review: Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by R. L. LaFevers

Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by R.L. LaFevers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Expected Publication Date: April 2, 2013
Pre order:  Barnes & Nobles / Amazon
Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. Naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, the convent views Sybella as one of their most dangerous weapons.

But those assassin’s skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. Her father’s rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother’s love is equally monstrous. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?

This heart-pounding sequel to Grave Mercy serves betrayal, treachery, and danger in equal measure, bringing readers back to fifteenth century Brittany and will keep them on the edge of their seats.

My Thoughts:
After reading Grave Mercy, the first of this series by R.L. LaFevers, I knew I just HAD to read Dark Triumph. There was something ominous but breathtaking about the story of these assassin nuns. If you haven't read Grave Mercy, I would consider doing so, as it is a phenominal story.

In Dark Triumph, we enter into the life of Sybella, another assassin with a dark past and uncertain future. If you thought Ismae's life was dark, wait until you learn of Sybella's.
  
Dark Triumph was the perfect title for this book. It indeed is dark and there is a triumphant story behind the darkness. If you were a fan of Grave Mercy and loved the depth behind the assassin nuns, then you will enjoy this as well.
As you know, these assassin nuns are children of the Dark father and this story follows Sybella. Her life trials are even darker than that of the first we had read about in Grave Mercy. One of the aspects of these characters is that no matter how trivial or hard their lives have been, they don’t succumb to the darkness of their pasts.  Sybella was the known daughter of the most awful Count d’Albret. He is ruthless and thrives off torturing others. She had walked on delicate egg shells her whole life and even then, she could not escape the darkness that was being in the presence of d’Albret.  Sybella was a victim of so many counts and over time she realized she wasn’t there just to wipe out those that were marqued, but in aiding others and would risk her very own life regardless as long as she did everything in her power to protect the Duchess.

I can’t even begin to tell you the horrific experiences this young lady had been subjected to. She had never known what love was, not truly. She transformed so much through this journey.   As twisted as her life had been, I couldn’t but admire that fact that even though her own family was made of deceit and darkness, she was able find an inner peace with who she was and what she had become. Not only that, but Sybella was able to experience what true love really was.
This story felt like it went on and on. It is a lengthy book however, I really enjoyed it. There were new characters introduced and they were so very unique, especially the Charbonnerie. I found them to be most interesting and unusual. Then there is Benebic of Waroch. Though he was not a handsome man, he was fierce and as loyal to the Duchess as they come.

 "I was wondering, since I have kissed you three times now, you might turn into a handsome prince." At the sight of his quick, easy grin, I feel my heart dance in my chest. "Alas, you are still stuck with a toad, my lady."

Through all of the darkness, a budding relationship slowly forms and it was a truthful hones one at that. It just made the story that much better in knowing that this young woman could overcome so much and yet Sybella had gotten to experience the gift of true love.
I enjoyed this second installment and look forward to see what the author brings in the next. Some scenes are pretty brutal and this involves some inappropriate family relations, if you get my drift.


3 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm glad to hear that Dark Triumph lives up to the first book! I'm really curious about Sybella's story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved Grave Mercy and I received this as an Kindle version but I think I am going to wait till I get the hardback copy! There is just something about an actual book that makes reading it so much more enjoyable!! and not to mention I want to see that gorgeous cover sitting on my shelves!!! Great review! I cant wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grave Mercy was a book I really enjoyed. I can not wait to read Dark Triumph as well!

    ReplyDelete