Monday, July 15, 2013

Review: Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

Things I Can't Forget
Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally
Publisher-Sourcebooks Fire
Release- March 1st 2013
Purchase- Amazon/ B & N/ Chapters



Companion to Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker.
Kate has always been the good girl. Too good, according to some people at school—although they have no idea the guilty secret she carries. But this summer, everything is different…This summer she’s a counselor at Cumberland Creek summer camp, and she wants to put the past behind her. This summer Matt is back as a counselor too. He’s the first guy she ever kissed, and he’s gone from a geeky songwriter who loved The Hardy Boys to a buff lifeguard who loves to flirt--with her.Kate used to think the world was black and white, right and wrong. Turns out, life isn’t that easy…


My Thoughts:
I've been a really big fan of Miranda Kenneally ever since her debut novel, Catching Jordan. I love the way she empowers intelligent and capable women in sports as well as combining heartfelt issues, comical humor and sweet and sexy romance that leaves us feeling content and satisfied, making these books a contemporary fan favorite.

This summer, Kate is working as a counselor at Cumblerland Creek church camp, but she still can't forget what she was apart of and she's drowning in shame and guilt. But, Matt her childhood friend and the first boy she ever kissed is also back at camp and Kate has a hard time resisting his charm. 
This summer Kate will see that even though you believe in something strongly doesn't mean you have to forget how to live and love.

Things I Can't Forget is the third novel in the Hundred Oaks series, but this one felt very different compared to the other two books. The entire tone felt...off. I was expecting some kind of sports related theme like Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker, but instead we're at a church camp. But if I'm being honest here, that wasn't the real issue I had with this book. It's actually about the fact that this book came off a bit to preachy and religious and I had a difficult time being able to sink into the story since it made the entire experience uncomfortable. I'm a religious person, but it's not an element I like in my reading escape. There was some religion that was lightly touched on in Stealing Parker, but unlike that book, this one made it hard to ignore the big catholic elephant in the room. It was just a little to much for my taste.

With that said, there were still a lot of moments I did enjoy. The writing is as clever and fun as ever. I love the way Kenneally explores tough issues for these characters to deal with but still gives them enough quick wit and humor to keep the story light. Each of these books are a companion with it's own story-line and characters, but it was still really amazing to see some of our favorite couples from past books. Fans of Stealing Parker will be happy to know that Will and Parker are very much a part of the story, taking a back seat from main-to-secondary characters but still in the center of it all. I loved seeing how their relationship developed. Such an adorable couple. Jordan and Henry also make an appearance, it's only a little one, but still enough to make me smile. 

Even though I had a few issues with Kate, I still liked her character. She's a confused girl and my heart really goes out to her for having to deal with the grief and guilt of helping out a friend in a compromising position that ended up questioning her own mortals and religious views. She's a good girl but I think she's a little too good. She really does come off (unintentionally) judgmental and prudish and goes on about the right and wrongs and the do's and don'ts of everyone's bad habits and promiscuity. Now, don't get me wrong here, there is nothing wrong with believing in waiting before marriage and I commend Kate's iron will and her strong dedication to her faith and morals, but for awhile there I had a hard time being able to connect with her the way I instantly connected with Jordan and Parker. 
~Now, my favorite part of all Kenneally's books is the absolutely irresistible love story that she gives each of her couples and even though Kate is a little more challenging, I still loved the sinfully adorable romance between her and Matt. It was the only time that Kate's guard felt down and her character relaxed enough to enjoy being young, alive and finding that special someone to make you feel happy, safe and wanted. 
I love the way Matt accepts and respects Kate for who she is and doesn't try to pressure or change her. He truly belongs up there with Henry and Will, he's a pleasant addition to the Hundred Oaks boys that will melt your heart and make your pulse race. 

All in all, I many not have love this the way I wanted to, but this is just my own issues and not necessarily the book. I still found this to be a charming and sweet read with touching and real moments and issues that readers will connect with on a deeper level. I also still adore Kenneally's writing and playful dialog and I'm looking forward to reading the next installment in this series, Racing Savannah!

Find the author
Goodreads / Website
                                                                    3.5 Snowflakes 

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I really like this review! I don't necessarily feel the same way as you did about the religion aspect though...to me I think Keanneally did a good handling such a touchy topic as religion. THERE WAS A LOT OF RELIGION in this one, and it threw me off too because I was expecting a sporty element. I think I read it as religion used to aid the character development, but I totally get it how you read it too. I attributed the religion to the character and brushed it off entirely. I haven't read it in a while, and think I might have to reread it soon : )

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part I still enjoyed this book as well and I can usual brush off elements that bother me in books, specially when it's one of my favorite author/series, but yeah, this one was a little to much for my taste:)

      Delete
  2. Keanneally also won me over with Catching Jordan :) I absolutely love how she writes teen novels with romance. The religion thing might bother me, it depends on how preachy it seems. Thanks for an informational review!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a really fun book, I loved seeing the other characters from past books and it's still warm and sweet. The religion probably wont bother you, I'm just more touchy when it comes to that subject in books:)

      Delete