Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Review: Royally Lost by Angie Stanton

18530135
Royally Lost by Angie Stanton
Publisher- Harper Collins
Released- May 6th 2014
Pre-Order- Amazon / B & N


Dragged on a family trip to Europe’s ancient cities, Becca wants nothing more than to go home. Trapped with her emotionally distant father, over-eager stepmother, and a brother who only wants to hook up with European hotties, Becca is miserable. That is until she meets Nikolai, a guy as mysterious as he is handsome. And she unknowingly finds herself with a runaway prince.Nikolai has everything a guy could ask for-he's crown prince, heir to the throne, and girls adore him. But the one thing he doesn't have...is freedom. Staging a coup, he flees his kingdom and goes undercover on his own European tour.When Nikolai and Becca meet, it’s their differences that draw them together. Sparks fly as they share a whirlwind of adventures, all the while dodging his royal guard. But Becca's family vacation ends in a matter of days. Will Nikolai and Becca be forced to say goodbye forever, will his destiny catch up to him, or will they change history forever?

My Thoughts: 
Royally Lost is a classic story of a Prince who wants to get away from his responsibilities to the throne and goes out into the world to escape his overbearing parents and duties. Only he didn't expect to run into American girl, Becca, who is on a European tour with her family and form an instant refreshing connection to someone who likes him for himself and not just his crown.

Okay cheesy, I admit it. But even though I may have thought this was a very simple, predictable and rushed story that lacks in some character development and plot depth, I still found this to be a sweet, fun and cute entertaining story. Sometimes I'm looking for cheesy in my books, if only to break up the usual heavy-hit issues I find in my usual contemporary or intense action and heart pound I find in my paranormal, fantasy or sci-fi escapes. This also reminds me of those mindless sappy movies I watched as a teen that no one else really liked. So while this was indeed a fluff-and-stuff read, it was still fun-filled and brought a dorky smile to my face as I welcomed the refreshing pace and ease of a light and clean story.

I really liked Becca and thought she was a fun character. She’s been having a hard time accepting her new stepmother and even a harder time trying to find any excitement on this family vacation, but as soon as Nikolai gave her directions and started to show up at ever stop, an easy friendship and spark formed making this European disaster something worth while.
I also really liked Becca’s brother, Dylan. He’s funny and a little reckless but he likes to live in the moment and encourages Becca to do the same, even though it’s this isn’t exactly the soundest advice, it’s something a brother would do and I had to smirk at that thought.
I however didn’t really care for their parents. These are characters that are venturing off to college and are old enough to make their own decisions. I thought it was a little unnecessary for all the strict overprotective parental supervision. Vicky, the step mother, I got to understand a little bit better by the end and thought she was at least better portrayed then the dad.
Nikolai is the Prince of Mondovia and sick and tired of having no real choices of his own. When he was with Becca he was sweet and playful and never used his influences to get what he wants. The measures he went to be with her, following her around, was really just too cute. I also liked Stanton’s European history lessons and thought she did a fine job of making Becca and Nikolai’s journey more believable and interesting at the same time.
Together Becca and Nikolai have a very rushed and instant love connection that will be sure to roll a few eyes, but as fluffy as this was, I still liked the warmth and ease of this kind of relationship. It was great to be with characters simply because they want to have fun, live in the moment and be together without all that extra drama, angst and fuss.

All in all, I thought this was a decent story. It may not be a favorite but it didn't feel like I wasted my time either. It’s simply a lovely, charming get-away romance fit for tweens and teens alike that are looking for a light, clean and quick fairytale escape that has a hopeful happily ever after ending. A cute read!


Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                                3.5 Snowflakes 

0 comments:

Post a Comment