Friday, April 25, 2014

Review & Interview: Peacemaker by Marianne de Pierres

Today on WinterHaven Books we have the amazing Marianne de Pierres with us!  I loved her Burn Bright series so when I had the opportunity to read and review her newest novel Peacemaker I jumped at the chance!  Not only was I lucky enough to receive a review copy, but she offered to graciously stop by and answer a few of my questions!  Have I mentioned that I love her??!!
Welcome Marianne! 

Hi Crystal!
Thanks for having me visit!

1. The world in Peacemaker was beautiful! How did you come up with this world?
Thank you! I think it was one of those what if moments. I’d been wanting to write some form of a Western for years and just couldn’t quite nail the concept. I started fooling around with the original short story (Gin Jackson, published ten years ago) and began asking myself questions about the world. What if the landscape had changed? What if the inland of Australia was no longer desolate? It’s so impossible to imagine Australia as overpopulated, and that’s what made it the perfect scenario. Then the thunderbolt hit, and I could suddenly picture the Western Quarter in all its mish-mash, stetson and akubra glory.

2. How much research was involved during your writing process?
I spent time re-reading the Time Life Old West series and did a lot of reading and thinking about the concept of mythology. There were other things as well. I usually always have to do some research into weapons.


3. The whole mythos idea really intrigued me, will we meet more people who have them in the next installment?
That whole story thread will develop a lot in the next novel as different Mythos begin to break through into the world. I’m really looking forward to writing some of these scenes. Virgin has a lot to learn from Nate about battling the Mythos, and she’s not keen on being his apprentice at all!

4. I'm waiting impatiently for the next book, can you tell us a little more about what we might expect?

Here’s a snip of the synopsis:
Dealbreaker (Peacemaker #2)

Virgin’s in a tight spot. A murder rap hangs over her head and isn’t likely to go away unless she agrees to work for her mother and an organisation called GJIC (the Global Joint Intelligence Commission). Being blackmailed is one thing, discovering that her mother is both alive and the President of GJIC is quite another.

But in the end Ranger Jackson is a pragmatist who cherishes her freedom. She takes the deal.

Virgin continues in her ranger duties at Parks Southern while working undercover for GJIC, which means building a closer relationship with her designated partner, Nate Sixkiller. This does not always go well!

But the one thing they share is a love and respect for the land, and they find a united cause in protecting Virgin’s beloved park from the threat of the Mythos.

5. Do you have any writing rituals?
I’ve tried to keep that sort of thing to a minimum. I wrote my early novels when my children were small and I had to learn to write anywhere, any time. Nowadays, the main thing I need is quiet. I don’t write well with a lot of distraction. Aside from that, cake has to be on the agenda. Cake is brain food! Since I’ve become gluten free that’s become a little more problematic … but where there’s a will …

6. For all of us dying to see you, do you think you might make a trip to the US??
Awww, thanks Crystal! I will definitely be over within the next twelve months, so it’s just a matter of arranging some book shop visits and events around that etc. I’ll be posting any plans on my website, so check in!
 Marianne you are one of my favorite people ever and I really hope you come to a city near me!  Thanks so much for the snippet too!!  Can't wait for Dealbreaker!!

PeacemakerPeacemaker by Marianne de Pierres
Publisher: Angry Robot
Release Date: April 29, 2014
Purchase: Amazon / BN
When an imaginary animal from her troubled teenage years reappears, Virgin takes it to mean one of two things: a breakdown (hers!) or a warning. Dead bodies start piling up around her, so she decides on the latter. Something terrible is about to happen in the park and Virgin and her new partner, U.S. Marshall Nate Sixkiller, are standing in its path...

Virgin Jackson is the senior ranger in Birrimun Park - the world's last natural landscape, overshadowed though it is by a sprawling coastal megacity. She maintains public safety and order in the park, but her bosses have brought out a hotshot cowboy to help her catch some drug runners who are affecting tourism. She senses the company is holding something back from her, and she's not keen on working with an outsider like Nate Sixkiller.
My thoughts:
Having already been a fan of Ms. Pierres I knew going into this I would more than likely love it.  Not only did I love it, but it completely blew me away and I think I even like it more than her Burn Bright series which I never thought would happen!

Like the synopsis says this story takes place in a park and Virgin is a ranger.  Forget everything you think you know about rangers and parks because Ms. Pierres has totally reworked the whole idea.  Her take on this world is even more amazing than the one she created in Burn Bright.  Where Burn Bright  was dark and dangerous the world in Peacemaker is beautiful and haunting.  Her vivid descriptions are amazing and I could picture everything without having to think too much.  Let me just tell you that if you love imagery this is the book for you!  It is also haunting though which in my opinion is even harder to capture than beautiful.  This books setting had me totally engrossed from the get go and I swear I could feel every bump and rock.

The story itself isn't an easy one.  We are introduced to a whole new world that does take some getting used to.  I am guessing this is a futuristic book and I always have a hard time with these, but I will say I had the least amount of problems with this one and that's because of the writing.  After I grasped the world and all the new gadgets everything else fell into place.  I loved reading about Virgin, her mythos (something you will need to read the book to find out what this is), Nate, and all the fun secondary characters that make up this brilliant and intricate story.

Virgin was a great character.  She was totally bad arse and never backed down.  I love characters like this.  I am not a fan of the damsel in distress and Virgin was definitely not one of those.  She knew what she needed to do and she saved Nate just as much as he saved her.  It wasn't ever one sided.  I had a lot of respect for her because even when she was hurt and down for the count she still picked herself back up and confronted her enemy.

I will say though my favorite part was the ending and the two bombs that were dropped.  I kinda saw one of them coming but I never saw the other one.  Ms. Pierres is BRILLIANT for dropping both of these and I can tell you know I am already waiting impatiently for the next book!!

4.5 snowflakes


0 comments:

Post a Comment