Thursday, April 24, 2014

Review: Killer Instinct by S.E. Green

Killer  InstinctKiller Instinct by S.E. Green
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: May 6, 2014
Purchase: Amazon / BN
She’s not evil, but she has certain... urges.

Lane is a typical teenager. Loving family. Good grades. Afterschool job at the local animal hospital. Martial arts enthusiast. But her secret obsession is studying serial killers. She understands them, knows what makes them tick.

Why?

Because she might be one herself.

Lane channels her dark impulses by hunting criminals—delivering justice when the law fails. The vigilantism stops shy of murder. But with each visceral rush the line of self-control blurs.
And then a young preschool teacher goes missing. Only to return... in parts.
When Lane excitedly gets involved in the hunt for “the Decapitator,” the vicious serial murderer that has come to her hometown, she gets dangerously caught up in a web of lies about her birth dad and her own dark past. And once the Decapitator contacts Lane directly, Lane knows she is no longer invisible or safe. Now she needs to use her unique talents to find the true killer’s identity before she—or someone she loves—becomes the next victim...

My Thoughts:
Warning this is not for the faint of heart or the squeamish.  Luckily for me I am neither of those things because if I was I would have missed on one kick ass book that did what no other book I have ever read has been able to do.  Totally and completely shock me!  I thought (and yes I even texted my blog roomie so it would be documented) I knew who the villain was for sure!  OMG was I wrong and I don't mean in an "oh hmm well I guess the clues where there"  I mean in an "HOLY ^#^(^@(^$(^@(#&(@&(#^  Did that just happen??!!!!"  Yep never saw it coming.  S.E Green you are a mad genius!!

The story starts off with a bang!  That first line was amazing and I don't know of any other book that has had that strong of a first sentence.  Lane is not your typical high school student.  She is very smart and doesn't have a lot of friends, but what makes her different is her killer instincts.  Her mom is an FBI agent that has first hand experience in serial killers and maybe that's where Lane's obsession comes from, but really it doesn't matter all that matters is that she wants to kill and has just picked out her target.  Now to get the timing, scene, and preparations done.  Are you hooked yet??!!

From the get go you know this book will be gritty and it doesn't disappoint.  There was blood, suspense, crazy family drama, and yes there is even a weird and awkward encounter with a boy.  Lane is very distant from people and you can see this throughout the book.  She doesn't do emotional or drama and I think that helped mold the story.  If Lane were the typical girl and driven by her emotions things would have turned out to be a lot different.  I liked that she looked at things differently and this is the one time where I thought a 17 year old could handle what was being thrown at her without the help of her parents.  Were all her decisions good..no, but whose are?  There were a few scenes that threw me, like the boy encounter in the library but I guess it just showed how Lane was trying to change. 

I can't say enough how much I loved this story.  I have been on the prowl for something to shock me and oh my did this ever.  I can't wait for all my book buddies to devour this so we can look back through and find clues that we missed.  I am dying to know if anyone else will be as shocked as I am.
*Thank you Simon Pulse for the amazing review copy!*

5 Snowflakes

1 comment: