Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday, #29



Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases we can't wait to get our hands on.

Here's my selection for this week... 

The Lucy Variations by Sara Zarr
Publication Date: May 7, 2013
Publisher: Little Brown

Lucy Beck-Moreau once had a promising future as a concert pianist. The right people knew her name, her performances were booked months in advance, and her future seemed certain.

That was all before she turned fourteen.

Now, at sixteen, it's over. A death, and a betrayal, led her to walk away. That leaves her talented ten-year-old brother, Gus, to shoulder the full weight of the Beck-Moreau family expectations. Then Gus gets a new piano teacher who is young, kind, and interested in helping Lucy rekindle her love of piano -- on her own terms. But when you're used to performing for sold-out audiences and world-famous critics, can you ever learn to play just for yourself?

National Book Award finalist Sara Zarr takes readers inside the exclusive world of privileged San Francisco families, top junior music competitions, and intense mentorships. The Lucy Variations is a story of one girl's struggle to reclaim her love of music and herself. It's about finding joy again, even when things don't go according to plan. Because life isn't a performance, and everyone deserves the chance to make a few mistakes along the way.

There's something about the description of this book that just screams my name. Set aside the fact that I love Sara Zarr's writing,  I enjoy that I never quite know what to expect from one book to the next. I'm eager to read this novel and get to know Lucy. I'm curious about who betrayed her and who she lost that caused her to walk away from a coveted talent. This book sounds like something I will definitely enjoy. Yes please!

Sooo what book are you waiting on? Link me up!! 

14 comments:

  1. Oohh this sounds good! It reminds me of Virtuosity :P
    ------
    Giselle @ Book Nerd Canada
    Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Sara Zarr. I can't wait to read it either. Thanks for sharing. This one just looks so fantastic.

    Here's my post. Please check it out.

    ~Danica Page@Taking it One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up playing the piano, so this sounds like something I would enjoy and it sounds like it will be emotional too. I love it. Great pick..

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything by Sara Zarr yet but I've heard super amazing things about her books. I love books that follow music and a person with talent. I am wondering what happened and want to see if she can overcome it and get back into piano.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read anything by Sara Zarr, but this sounds like it will be a great read.

    My WoW

    Sabina @ Delirious About Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything from Zarr before, but I'm not sure if I will pick this one up soon. It doesn't sound like my thing. I hope you're going to love it once you get the chance to read it! :)

    WoW Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't actually read anything by Sara Zarr before, but I've heard great things about her writing, and this book has my attention. I can't wait to give it a try! Brilliant pick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting! I haven't heard of it before but I might read it when it comes out. Great pick and thanks for sharing!
    Come check out my WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a captivating read.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/01/waiting-on-wednesday_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds really good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Sara Zarr...I imagine I'll love this book too! I didn't know about this one so it's def on my TBR list now! Great pick!

    here's My W.o.W.

    xo
    jaime @ fic fare

    ReplyDelete
  12. This writer is completely new to me, and I LOVE the topic of this book! I am not only a classical music fan, but also have a sister who is a piano teacher. This novel will definitely go on my TBR list right away! Thanks for featuring it!! :)

    Here's my WOW: http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2013/01/waiting-on-wednesday-63-conspiracy-of.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh this is very different from my usual fare. I really love the description of this book. Plus the cover catches my attention. Come visit me too.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pick, Arlene. I'm looking forward to this one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete