Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
This weeks topic is..
Ten Historical Settings You'd Love To See

Crystal
 Hmm I'm with Tina I'm not a big historical fan so this ones going to be hard for me.  If I had to chose I would chose these two even though I know they've already been done before I love these times
1. Medieval times for sure
2. Victorian times


Milka
1. The beginning of 1600s & the Jamestown Colony - I know there are YA titles set around this period, but my search shows that most were written in the 90s and most seem to be somehow related or connected to Pocahontas. I think this period is extremely interesting (I have actually done a bit of academic research on it in relation to its representation on film) and I think a YA novel from the point of view of the Native tribes residing on the area is something I would definitely like to read.

2. The New Hollywood/American New Wave era - In film history, New Hollywood/Hollywood New Wave spans from mid 1960s (the first films considered as to be examples of this era of filmmaking are Bonnie and Clyde and The Graduate) to the early 1980s. I have been interested about this era ever since I first studied it in university and I think it would make a great setting for a YA novel set in Hollywood. Basically, this era is known for the rising young filmmakers and actors like Dennis Hopper, George Lucas, Jack Nicholson and Jane Fonda. Inspiration was taken from the films of The French New Wave and other European movements like Italian Neorealism which basically meant that these young filmmakers wanted to get out of the confinement of traditional Hollywood studios and experiment with the film medium. A lot of drugs, parties, successes and failures are associated with this era, and I think there are so many different ways this period in history could be used in a fictional context. (I almost feel like writing something set during this era myself!)

Tina
I'm not a huge fan of historical settings, but I would love
1.Egyptian
2. 1800's-Little house on the prairie
3.Victorian times

Arlene
I love historicals, so this one is easy!
1. Medieval Times in England around the 1400's. I loved Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught, so it would be fun to experience a joust and the food of that time period. Oh and don't forget… it wouldn't be too shabby meeting a handsome knight in shining armor.
2. I think it would be fun to experience the colonial period as well. Get a bit of first hand history under my belt.


4 comments:

  1. I wish I read most historical books, but I guess I still need to find the right one.
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've picked so many amazing historical settings! I'd love to read more books set in a lot of these times too. I really want more books set in Ancient Egypt, I haven't read too many and that's my favourite historical setting!

    Here's my TTT post if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, LOVE Ancient Egypt, Victorian Times, anytime historical British time period and Medieval times!! Fantastic selection here ladies^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read.
    Indobd.com
    www.indobd.com
    Indobd
    Indobd.com
    www.indobd.com

    ReplyDelete