Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Review: Daylighters by Rachel Caine

16115626
Daylighters by Rachel Caine
Publisher-Penguin Group (NAL)
Released- Nov 5th 203
Purchase- Amazon / B & N


While Morganville, Texas, is often a troubled town, Claire Danvers and her friends are looking forward to coming home. But the Morganville they return to isn’t the one they know; it’s become a different place—a deadly one…Something drastic has happened in Morganville while Claire and her friends were away. The town looks cleaner and happier than they’ve ever seen it before, but when their incoming group is arrested and separated—vampires from humans—they realize that the changes definitely aren’t for the better.It seems that an organization called the Daylight Foundation has offered the population of Morganville something they’ve never had: hope of a vampire-free future. And while it sounds like salvation—even for the vampires themselves—the truth is far more sinister and deadly.Now, Claire, Shane and Eve need to find a way to break their friends out of Daylighter custody, before the vampires of Morganville meet their untimely end
My Thoughts:
I was late to the party when the first Morganville book came out back in 2006. I ended up reading the first book, Glass House, four years later, in 2010, quickly fell in love with it and proceeded to read the next eight books in the series. With ever addition I became head-over-heals addicted and couldn't wait to dive back into my beloved town filled with the most witty characters, bone-chilling vampires and crazy action. So, I write this review with a heavy heart. Fifteen books later and my beloved Morganville is over. Even though I was ready to let them go, I will never forget the amazing experience I had with this escape. It was a place, I indeed, never wanted to leave.

Daylighters starts off minutes after Fall of Night ends. There is a new boss in town and he’s cleaning up all the imperfections by repairing old buildings and houses and taking out any trash he finds along the way. Which are namely, Vampires. It’s up to Claire, Shane and Eve to find a way to stop Fallon and the Daylighters foundation and get back their friends in a heart-pumping, pulse-pounding and action-packed finale that screams Morganville style!!

Since this is the last book, I don’t like to give out any spoils, so all I’m gonna say is that I love that this book delivered all kinds of awesome. Caine gave us one last explosive hurrah in this fast-paced, twisty and intriguing conclusion in the Morganville series. I love the hellhound’s idea and how it affected a couple of these characters. I though I saw it all in these books, but leave it to Caine to give us one more paranormal goodie one last time. I also love that Caine gave us a little surprise in this book. I never thought it could happen, or well, be possible and I kept thinking how brilliant of a move it was and very well played for the final book. I feel so blue. There are just so many of my favorite series ending and it feels like I have nothing to look forward to anymore. I know it’s not true and it’s just the sadness talkin’, but it’s just so odd to imagine that I won’t be picking up another Morganville book next year. Claire, Shane, Michael, Eve and Myrnin were some of my all time favorite characters ever written. I can’t even express how much I will truly miss them.

There is a something Oliver said to Claire in this book that stayed with me;
“You know, you are not the mousy little thing I met that morning in Common Grounds,” he said. “You've become something else entirely. It’s to your credit, but it’s also extremely inconvenient.”
Now, this quote is really saying something when you have someone like Oliver who actually recognizes how much Claire has grown in this book. She has become a very strong, independent and fierce friend and ally. Be gone is the girl who let Monica Morrell push her around and is replaced by a character that has faced endless maddening challenges, and comes out of each experience with her head a little higher and her skills-both in mind and body- a little more kickass. I've never been prouder.
Shane has had many bumps along the road in this series, but one thing that’s never truly wavered was his loyalty to his friends and his love for Claire. He may have acted like an asshat on occasion and may still be a punk, but he’s my punk and he will always own a piece of my heart.
Eve and Michael deserve all kinds of happiness and I’m glad that they got to do it right in the end. And last but not least, my beloved crazy-ass bipolar Vampire, Myrnin. I've always adored Myrnin’s eccentric behavior and will miss his flip-flops, vampire bunny slippers and his pet Bob-the-spider. He’s been one of the most entertaining and corky character that I've ever read and as crazy as it sounds, I think I’ll miss him the most.

I really don’t know what else to say, expect that these books will be forever loved and missed. I will always treasure the friendship between Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael. They have some of the best chemistry, banter and wit that never failed to put a smile on my face or dip my stomach in butterflies. I can’t even count how many times I've reached for these books when ever I have readers-block and I’m sure I’ll still visit these old friends the next time that happens.
I hate to say good-bye to Morgaville, but I’m happy with the way it ends. With hope and happiness and Tacos;) Congrats and thanks to Rachel Caine for bringing us thrills, chills, laughter, friends and romance in the world of Vampires. They will never be forgotten.

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                                4.5 Snowflakes

1 comment: