Friday, November 8, 2013

Review: Remember When by T. Torrest

Remember When (Remember Trilogy #1) by T. Torrest
Published: January 1, 2013
Years before Trip Wiley could be seen on movie screens all over the world, he could be seen sitting in the desk behind me in my high school English class.

This was back in 1990, and I cite the year only to avoid dumbfounding you when references to big hair or stretch pants are mentioned. Although, come to think of it, I am from New Jersey, which may serve as explanation enough. We were teenagers then, way back in a time before anyone could even dream he’d turn into the Hollywood commodity that he is today.

In case you live under a rock and don't know who Trip Wiley is, just know that these days, he’s the actor found at the top of every casting director’s wish list. He’s incredibly talented and insanely gorgeous, the combination of which has made him very rich, very famous and very desirable.

And not just to casting directors, either.

I can’t confirm any of the gossip from his early years out in Tinseltown, but based on what I knew of his life before he was famous, I can tell you that the idea of Girls-Throwing-Themselves-At-Trip is not a new concept.

I should know. I was one of them.

And my life hasn’t been the same since.

My Thoughts
Very sweet story.

What a pleasant surprise! I was not expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. Grant it, it took a good 50 – 60% of my reading progress to go from I LIKE toREALLY REALLY LOVE!!, but that’s okay. Layla was an easy character to fall for, and I have to say Trip wasn’t so bad either.

The story takes us back to 1990, when Layla falls for the new guy at St. Norma’s Parochial High School. Terrence C. Wilmington the third, aka Trip, is at the top of every girls’ list and Layla is no exception. But when they strike up a solid friendship after partnering on a school project and working together at the local video store, Layla feels she has no chance of moving passed that “friend” zone. When she attempts to move on, everything seems to change… for both of them.

Layla was a perfect character to narrate the story. She immediately wins that spot as the girl you gotta love, but it’s not until an emotional moment well past that half point in the book that she had me wanting to clobber a few people that cut her down. Ours was a steady building reader/narrator relationship that sort of surprised me by the impact she had on me when I finished her story. She’s unforgettable in many ways, but mostly because she was just so relateable and funny.

Trip is your token golden boy and I rarely fall for these characters. I’m always looking for the underdog or the broken/twisted guy, always ready to root him on, but Trip wouldn’t have this. He tugged at my heart and I reluctantly fell for him. Throw in a mind ramble and he had me at “Hey Dummy.” I know... I know... But that’s what happens when a boy shares his mind ramble.

Overall very very cute story, and I can’t wait to move on to the next installment to hopefully see where the next chapter of their lives take them. Romance, comedy, heartbreak and friendship… what more can you ask for? Simply lovely!
4 Snowflakes

0 comments:

Post a Comment