Monday, November 25, 2013

Review: Another Little Piece of My Heart by Tracey Martin

18336825
Another Little Piece of my Heart
by Tracey Martin
Publisher- Harlequin Teen
Released- Dec 1st 2013
Pre-Order- Amazon / B & N

What if your devastating break-up became this summer’s hit single? In this rock-and-roll retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, music can either bring you together or tear you apart.At her dying mother’s request, Claire dumps Jared, the only boy she’s ever loved. Left with a broken family and a broken heart, Claire is furious when she discovers that her biggest regret became Jared’s big break. While Jared is catapulted into rock-star status, another piece of Claire’s heart crumbles every time his song plays on the radio.The summer after her senior year, it’s been months since the big break-up, and Claire is just trying to keep her head down and make it through a tense trip to the beach with her family. But when Jared shows up, and old feelings reignite, can Claire and Jared let go of the past? Or will they be stuck singing the same old refrain?
My Thoughts:
Most guys who get dumped by their girlfriends usually retaliate by drinking, spreading rumors or hooking up with other girls. But Claire couldn't be so lucky. No, instead of the usual, I've-been-dumped behavior, her ex-boyfriend, Jared, decides to write a hit song (or three) about the girl who broke his heart, landing him Grammy’s and superstar status. But when your mother who is dying of cancer and request you to break-up with the only guy you've ever loved, you do it to make her happy no matter the position she puts your heart in. You don’t have a choice…right?
On top of the stinging hit single blaring from the radio, Claire just found out that her family is moving and that she suddenly doesn't have the funds for college. Can life get anymore unfair? Well, yes, yes it can. On a family trip to the beach in New Hampshire for a little family down time, Claire finds herself in an, alien-gods-are-cruel situation, when she comes face to face with the guy who broke a little more then a piece of her heart.

Now, this was exactly what I needed. I've been reading a lot of heavy hearted books lately and was craving something that didn't require tissues. Another Little Piece of My Heart delivered beautifully. This was a sweet and somewhat bitter book about love, mistakes and how not ever decision you make is the right one. Life is messy, flawed and it’s bound to get screwed up, but if you’re lucky, then fate or destiny or the alien-gods themselves will take pity and give you a second chance at happiness. Even if you didn't know you were looking for it.

First off, I’m totally siding with Claire on this one. Just saying.
I really enjoyed Claire’s character. She’s surprisingly upbeat and doesn't come off whinny or annoying. She may be a bit bitter, but given what she’s been through I can’t say I blame her. But what I love about her the most is that she handled herself with Jared quite nicely. She may have gotten in a few justified digs every now and then, but she wasn't overly immature or revengeful of the situation, which is pretty big of her since the guy did write a very unflattering hit song at her expense. I even get why she broke up with Jared in the first place. It may not have been fair, but when your mom is dying of cancer and she asks you to break-up with your boyfriend because she thinks it’s for the best, well, it sucks, but what else can you do but honor the request and hope your heart can deal with it. 
Too bad it wasn't the same way for Jared.
Jared on the other hand, didn't look very good there for awhile and after a few snide remarks to many I wasn't sure I found this guy even worth Claire’s time, but as the story starts to unfold a little more we see that Jared isn't a bad guy after all. I like the fact that he isn't blinded by fame and that he still remains Claire’s biggest fan and supporter when it comes to her music. Sure, he could have used his venting-tools a little more discretely and given Claire a chance to explain but when you’re young, upset and heartbroken we do things to lash out and hurt the one you care about the most.
There were a lot of secondary character’s mix into the drama surrounding our two protags, and while I liked the fun and entertainment they brought into the story, at times I felt they were a little to center stage and I found myself wishing they'd fade into the background a little more and wanting to get back to the heart of the story.

Funny enough there isn't any real romance in this book nor any really swoon-worthy moments since this was more about dealing with a messy break-up and the aftermath of their lives afterwards. But we did get some memories along the way that connected us to better days between Claire and Jared. We also have a lot of tension and chemistry that sizzles off the pages, even though it’s accompanied by hostility and confusion. I also really loved the ending and thought it was really sweet that music is what connected them together in the first place and after all this time it still has the power to connect them again.

All in all, I really enjoyed myself with this one. I think it could have used a couple more heart-happy scenes, but altogether I still think Tracy Martin really nailed that flavor of awkward moments, emotional stir and thick tension that you could cut with a knife.
A quick, clean, light and sweet read that put a smile on my face, tugged at my heart and makes me trust that once in awhile the alien-gods may know what they’re doing after all.
A really cute read!

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                              4 Snowflakes 

6 comments:

  1. are you like read the book about traveling??

    if ye, please come to my site http://www.wisatapanorama.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds darling! As a huge music fan I know that I'll be picking this one up. Also I like that it sounds like it's cute and still a little bit on the edgy side! I can dig it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, it's a cute book but still has a few deeper moments. Happy reading when you pick it up:)

      Delete
  3. This sort of reminds me of The Kiss Off, but I think that it won't be as disappointing. I'm hoping that I can grab a copy soon. From the sound of your review, it sounds like Another Little Piece of My Heart doesn't disappoint. I can't wait to read it!

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read that book, will have to look into it now:) I think this book was cute but I do wish it had a few more swoon-worthy moments. Still, an entertaining read. Hope you enjoy it!:)

      Delete
  4. You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

    Visit Web
    Osnabruecker.com
    Information

    ReplyDelete