Friday, November 1, 2013

Review: Cold Spell by Jackson Pearce

16039122
Cold Spell by Jackson Pearce 
Publisher- Little Brown Books
Released- Nov 5th 2013
Pre-Order- Amazon / B & N

Kai and Ginny grew up together–best friends since they could toddle around their building’s rooftop rose garden. Now they’re seventeen, and their relationship has developed into something sweeter, complete with stolen kisses and plans to someday run away together.But one night, Kai disappears with a mysterious stranger named Mora–a beautiful girl with a dark past and a heart of ice. Refusing to be cast aside, Ginny goes after them and is thrust into a world she never imagined, one filled with monsters and thieves and the idea that love is not enough.If Ginny and Kai survive the journey, will she still be the girl he loved–and moreover, will she still be the girl who loved him?
My Thoughts: 
There is something very magical when ever I read one of Jackson Pearce’s fairytale retelling. I've always loved the story of the Snow Queen, her bitterness and her beauty, but this book was exceptionally remarkable, tangling fierce love and friendship against the backdrop of the harsh and cruelty of winter and the longing and evil that it brings.

Cold Spell captures the story of Kai and Ginny, they've been best friends since they were little kids and that friendship turned into a precious kind of love. But Mora, the Snow Queen’s, insatiable need to fill a deep void is powerful and goes after boys like Kai for her own twisted vendetta. But Ginny will do what ever it takes to bring back her love, no matter what it takes, even if it means that she will have to kill Kai…to save him.

Wow! This was such a fantastic escape, Pearce is a master storyteller when it comes to fairytales retellings.  I don’t know how she does it, but her writing is so passionate that it makes me feel like I’m right in the middle of this world. I saw everything this story had to offer so vividly in my mind. The crisp winter snow, the grey flavor scattered on ever page and the terror of the Fenris and the desperation of losing the one person you love the very most. I've read my share of adult contemps, urban fantasy and new adults and while I love nothing more then reading sizzling heat or sexy times, I forget how powerful and touching love can really be. Kai and Ginny have fairytale love, it’s the kind that you would want to wrap your arms around with both arms and hold on tight. It’s the kind of love that you would go to hell and back again just to hear them breath. I wasn't sure how connected I would feel for them, since Kai was taken so early on in the story, but the past memories from Ginny provided us with a very effective look from childhood to teenage moments that made me feel just how wonderfully beautiful their love really is. It also gave Ginny and the reader the strength to continue on this impossible journey and hoping against hope that everything will turn out right come the end.

I really loved all of these characters. They are amazingly put together, they have amazing chemistry with one another that amused and charmed me from the first page on.
Ginny is a wonderful protag to be proud of. I love her dedication and fierce determination and heart to get Kai back against monstrous odds. I loved seeing her grow throughout the book, learning that she’s a lot stronger then she realized and that with or without Kai, she can make it on her own.
Kai is one of those characters that is genuinely good and kind. I have a hard time trying to explain how I feel about him since there are two versions of him in this book. The ever talented boy who loves Ginny and the boy who was under an evil spell and left her broken hearted. My heart truly went out to him, feeling badly for all that he was put through.
I love love loved Lucas and Elle, they are such good people, giving, loving and fun to be around. The only part of the story that felt a little off was during the Travellers moments in the camp since it didn't quite blend with the rest of the story at that point, but it gave us Flannery and Callum, who I grew to greatly love in this book.

All in all, I really loved this book. Cold Spell is a enchanting and magical tale of love, friendship and self discovery covered under a blanket of rich tainted snow. It was the perfect winter escape that gave me chills and warmed my heart at the same time. 
Beautifully done! Another wonderful fairytale escape from Pearce!

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                                4.5 Snowflakes

1 comment:

  1. OOh, I've been meaning to read a Jackson Pearce novel for a while. I've heard great things about her retelling and it sounds like Cold Spell is amazing too. I have to get my act together and grab a copy!

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete