Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin


 Rating 3 Snowflakes


What happens when you wake up to find you are the only one out of your 3 friends to survive a building collapsing? And what if you couldn't remember why you were there to begin with?   Mara doesn't remember why she, Rachel her best friend, Jude her boyfriend, and Clarie her not so good friend all decided to go to an old boarded up asylum at 2:oo in the morning.  The worst possible thing happens and Mara wakes up to find that the building they were in collapsed and she is the only survivor.  Left with no memory of what happened Mara has to deal with the guilt of being alone and when strange things start happening she wonders if she lost more than just her memory.  Buildings start crumbling, people start dying and Mara feels like the catalyst for it all.  So when she meets Noah, the resident hottie, everything changes and she starts to feel like maybe she is not alone in this after all and Noah may hold the key to getting her memory and sanity back.
For the most part I really liked this one. I enjoyed all the mystery and twists and turns that Hodkins wrote into this story. Noah was a fun male lead, he was very sure of himself which at times felt a little forced but he really did seem to want to help Mara. They had fun chemistry but I would have liked for Mara to give in a little more, she needed to show she liked him just as much as he liked her. I am also curious about Daniel, I really think there is way more to this boy than him just being her older brother. Like I said I really liked the story but I am so confused!! After reading this I cannot for the life of me give an explanation as to what is actually going on in Mara's mind and I feel that after 400 some odd pages we should at least have some clue as to where the story might be going. There were so many little subplots that I have several questions to and I really hope that the sequel spells them out clearer than the first book. I think the idea is original just we the reader need more info to understand a couple of things.
Overall good book and I will definitely read the sequel.




1 comment:

  1. Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

    Click Here
    Sketchfab.com
    Website

    ReplyDelete