Saturday, September 17, 2016

Review: Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
Publisher: Jimmy Patterson
Release Date: September 20, 2016
Purchase: Amazon
Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.
 

My Thoughts:
This book was so FREAKING FUN!!  I don't think I've ever read a book like this before and I just want more from Kerri Maniscalco!!!

Stalking Jack the Ripper is based on the infamous murder Jack the Ripper as you can tell from the title.  What I found fascinating is how the author managed to keep so many of the details intact, but still created a completely unique story line.  Not only was it unique, but it was filled with gore, creepishly delicious murders, and so much fun!  Ms. Maniscalco didn't shy away from the less than pretty things that happened during that time and by picking Audrey Rose as her main heroine it gave her a reason for describing things in such detail.  I loved every single minute of it!

I think my favorite part was Audrey Rose.  Yes I won't lie she had a few TSTL moments, but I totally forgave her for them because the author did a great job explaining her background.  All Audrey Rose wanted to do was become a brilliant scientist.  She loved performing autopsies and looked at it like a puzzle.  Unfortunately for her in her time this was unacceptable for a lady and so she had to hide inside her uncles lab.  The author wove in a rich background that makes it clear Audrey Rose was hidden away and kept from learning about the ways of the world.  This made me forgive her when she ran into danger without a care in the world.

She wasn't always alone though and I loved Thomas for always being one step ahead of her!  He was the best character ever!  I loved his banter and he always laid everything on the table even if Audrey Rose sometimes skipped over his endearing words.  I think..no I know he is my favorite character of all time.  He treated her with respect and as an equal and she needed that more than anything.  I loved him to pieces.

My only complaint is that I felt the ending was a bit soft.  I know where the author was going and I understood the overall dilemma, but I wish the author wouldn't have taken the easy way out for her ending.  She didn't shy away from anything else in this story so I was a little saddened by this.  Honestly though it didn't take away from the brilliance of this story.  It was a strong story and I absolutely believe the ending, even though soft, added an extra layer to the overall plot.  I happened to guess who the villain was early on in the story, but with the ending the way it was I didn't see a few things coming and that made it fun.

Kerri Maniscalco is definitely on my favorite authors list and if this book is any indication she will be around for years and I will always be first in line to buy her books!  I still have goosebumps!!

5 snowflakes



3 comments:

  1. I've been dying to read this one! Been following it from review to review. That cover is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESS!! I couldn't agree more. I can't wait til my review is live on the 21st so I can say "LOOKIE HOW MUCH I LOVIE!" lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeep! This is an exciting and promising review :D I'm really fascinated by the concept of this book and well reading your review makes me feel like I NEED THIS BOOK in my life NOW! Awesome review^^

    ReplyDelete