Saturday, September 21, 2013

Review: The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

The Chaos of StarsThe Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: September 10, 2013
Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal.

Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all

My Thoughts:
I fell in love with Kiersten White's writing after reading Mind Games and you can imagine how thrilled I was after I found out she was writing a book about Egyptian mythology.  I ended up having a love/hate relationship with this book though which I was not expecting.

The part I loved was the Egyptian mythology.  I loved the little tidbits that were placed at the beginning of each chapter and I loved learning about Isadora's family.  I am still fairly new to this mythology so it really captured my attention.

What I didn't love was all the high school drama.  The romance and selfish tirades in the beginning of the book really turned me off.  I really wasn't expecting Isadora to be so selfish and whiny.  There were many times in the beginning of the book where I just wanted to reach in and slap her.  From the way the book progressed though I am guessing the author wanted us to feel this way.  I was hoping the main plot of the book would have been more involved with the mythology, but the main plot point in my opinion was Isadora growing up.  And let me tell you she needed to grow up a lot.  I get that she felt slighted and she was angry, but my goodness she was a whiny brat 3/4 of the book.

The addition of the Greek Gods through me for a loop.  I won't give anything away but I just want to say that I am confused.  I don't see where they all fit in together and why a certain character was brought in. I would have liked the story to maybe take the reader into more about this particular character and what it means to Isadora's family, but we are just left hanging.  The story and characters all feel very incomplete in my opinion.  Yes the mystery is solved, but not until the very end does this happen and honestly nothing exciting happened throughout the whole book until the end. If I had one wish I would have wished for the story to have started in the middle and then continued for about 6 chapters after what was supposed to be the ending.  I think White hit her stride in the middle and I really wish it would have happened sooner.

The reason for my 3 star rating is because I really did enjoy the ending.  It finally gave me the mythology I wanted and the scary Gods that I craved.  I still enjoyed White's writing and even though I wasn't a fan of the overall storyline by the end I was hooked and can honestly say I wanted more.

3 snowflakes  




28 comments:

  1. The high school cliches are something I never enjoy- I haven't really enjoyed another by White lately so it's unlikely that I'll ever pick this one up. Glad it worked out okay for you.

    Fab review, Crystal! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's definitely disappointing, Crystal. I wish I'd read your review before I bought the book. I couldn't suffer through the high school drama. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like snow white, but I sad because I don't touch that in this country... hmm
    nice blog ;)
    Hy, do you want to read my last posting in this site =>
    obat sakit tenggorokan untuk ibu hamil,
    green world global,
    obat jelly gamat gold g,
    Thank's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this article. I love it. This is something I've noticed, and I'm glad that it's gotten some attention slimming capsule

    ReplyDelete
  5. what the title of the book that tells the story of Egyptian mythology ? Obat Luka Diabetes

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank for the post. :) Good post.
    is very useful and can be understood
    obat jerawat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your comments :),, I am also very happy to have read and look at this post, this post sangatlag good and very useful for the future addition of my knowledge. Thanks for any other informative site. Where else may just I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal means? I’ve a challenge that I am simply now running on, and I have been at the glance out. For such information.
    cara mengecilkan perut
    obat gagal ginjal kronis
    obat sinusitis
    slimming capsule

    ReplyDelete
  8. artikelnya mantap gan:) di tunggu terus ya updatenya :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never give up, and be confident in what you do. There may be tough times, but the difficulties which you face will make you more determined to achieve your objectives and to win against all the odds. Source Harga jelly gamat gold g paling murah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think what it takes to succeed remains the same. You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to go ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. Cara mengatasi masalah ejakulasi dini pada pria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life is like a wheel, sometimes you will be on the top, sometimes you will be at the bottom. It is not important when we become on the top or at the bottom. But the most important is syukur when success and shabar when fail. obat jantung bocor The young people with big dreams should not spend the time with unimportant things. harga jelly gamat You will achieve a success quickly when in good feelings, good thoughts, and urge all those good things. jelly gamat gold g

    ReplyDelete
  12. a story that is interesting, thank you for willing to share with us. See also my site obat kesemutan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his
    Cara Menghilangkan Benjolan Di Leher
     

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank for information,,, visit my site pengobatan asma

    ReplyDelete
  16. the information on this site is really very helpful, so I often visit them, thank you've allowed me to comment
    Obat Kanker Otak Alami Tanpa Operasi

    ReplyDelete
  17. your post is nice, also visit my website here obat jerawat , obat asam lambung and this obat sinusitis thank you very much in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. an information which is very innovative and it is an interesting idea to learn, and I am very happy with your writing that makes me always learn and learn, thanks for the ideas and creations!

    obat menstruasi
    obat kanker payudara
    obat radang usus besar
    obat penyakit kista
    obat radang usus buntu

    ReplyDelete
  20. When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

    ReplyDelete