Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Review: Deception by C.J. Redwine


Deception (Defiance, #2)Deception (Defiance, #2) by C.J. Redwine
Expected Publication Date: August 27, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Amazon / B&N
Baalboden has been ravaged. The brutal Commander's whereabouts are unknown. And Rachel, grief stricken over her father's death, needs Logan more than ever. With their ragged group of survivors struggling to forge a future, it's up to Logan to become the leader they need—with Rachel by his side. Under constant threat from rival Carrington's army, who is after the device that controls the Cursed One, the group decides to abandon the ruins of their home and take their chances in the Wasteland.



But soon their problems intensify tenfold: someone—possibly inside their ranks—is sabotaging the survivors, picking them off one by one. The chaos and uncertainty of each day puts unbearable strain on Rachel and Logan, and it isn't long before they feel their love splintering. Even worse, as it becomes clear that the Commander will stop at nothing to destroy them, the band of survivors begins to question whether the price of freedom may be too great—and whether, hunted by their enemies and the murderous traitor in their midst, they can make it out of the Wasteland alive.

In this daring sequel to Defiance, with the world they once loved forever destroyed, Rachel and Logan must decide between a life on the run and standing their ground to fight.
My Thoughts:

Deception is full of exactly that--Deception. Who can you trust when the greed for power takes precedence over loyalty? The ruthless Commander is back to claim the tech device and he has paired up with another city-state.

Logan and Rachel have their hands full. Not only does Logan have the weight of leading the remaining Baalboden citizens, but he is constantly having to reassure them that he is a nineteen-year-old fit for the job, even if he questions it himself at times. He doesn’t want to disappoint the people who have lost so much already at the hands of their former Commander, and to the Cursed One. Obstacles of inexperience and age are just a few minor implications against a much larger picture. Besides the fact that the Commander is after them, Rowansmark want what they believe was stolen from them, so the Baalboden survivors high-tail it to Lankenshire, in hopes that they can form an alliance and help against those that are coming after them.
The Wasteland proves to be vicious. Not only are their landscape hindrances, but Highwayman, an army, and the threat of the Cursed One at their feet. Deception is the perfect title for this story, as there is deception at every turn. Not only are they being tracked by a Rowansmark tracker, one of their own is hiding a secret as well. Who is the traitor amongst them is the big question.
Rachel is facing her own demons with difficulty. Even a strong willed woman can’t shake the hurt, betrayal, death, and thirst for revenge. It claws away and beats her up mentally. Loss has become second nature, but the effects have hindered her judgment.  Her loyalty to the people and to Logan, exceptionally to Logan as he is the one thing she has left to live for, keeps her in line. Sylph is another that Rachel loves. Even through the most difficult of times, she keeps a smile on her face and spreads her love across her friends and the others. Her humor and kindness was a light in the dark.
 “You aren’t unfeminine. You just stink at setting a nice table or sewing a decent dress.”
“It’s nice to have my differences be an asset instead of something that makes me the most unfeminine girl in the room.”

I was on edge as the story unfolded and trying to figure out who was the traitor. I cheered the group on while they were facing difficult passages, and waiting to see if they would even make it was driving me mad! The story flowed well but at one point I was beginning to wonder if there was a bigger bomb waiting to be dropped. AND let me tell you…you will be shocked when it does. I was totally blindsided by it.


These characters really grew on me. A few particular really stole the show in my opinion. I just love Willow and Quinn. The brother and sister duo fighting machines. Willow is fierce and says what’s on her mind. She is the one who will tell you what you don’t want to hear, but need to hear. She says it how it is and I just loved her for that. Quinn…sigh…He is the epitome of a knight in shining armor. Talk about a swoonworthy character! He is smart, strong, a great listener, and sooo much more. The relationship between Willow and her brother is strong and I just love how they are there to protect one another.
I love the action and suspense and those twists that threw me for a loop time and time again. Logan and Rachel are so sweet together, but man, they have so much on their shoulders. Both of them have a lot to work through as individuals, but knowing they have one another to lean on, keeps faith that everything will work out in time.

I usually get a tad bit annoyed when a character constantly is fighting an inner battle, complain about it, push it aside, then dwells on it more.  I know Rachel is dealing with a lot, but it did get a little old. But when she has a conversation with Quinn, I couldn’t help but feel admiration for him, and sorrow for her. Always the tough girl and expected to be just that, it was time for Rachel to feel the natural emotions instead of pushing them away and face them.

I enjoyed Deception. I loved the action, the pacing and the characters. This left off on a little cliffy, and I cannot wait to see what will transpire in the next book.







Follow on Bloglovin

For More about this author, please follow the links provided below.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this one so much. I loved the first book and I've put off reading this one until I could read some reviews. So far, so good. I will definitely have to pick it up soon!

    Great review!

    Katie @ Katie’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you loved the first one, you'll like this one as well. It's intense.

      Delete
  2. Great review. This book has intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like just another nail-biter. I enjoyed Defiance and am looking forward to this book as well.

    Great review, Amber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! It was a nail-biter. You won't believe what happens!!!

      Delete
  4. I actually didn't love Defiance, even though I really wanted to. But you give me hope. I like the sound of the synopsis and the problems the characters will have to face through this book. Also, the cliffhanger.. ahh, I love it when books do that because if the cliff hanger is a killer then it means I'm invested int he book.

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was such a big fan of the first book that i was really worried this book woudln't live up to the first one. I'm liking what i'm hearing though and i'm glad you liked this one! Can't wait to read it myself.
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete