Sunday, August 4, 2013

Aussie Review: Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1)
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
Publisher- Viking Juvenile
Released- June 23rd 2009
Purchase- Amazon / B & N / Chapters



Eon has been studying the ancient art of Dragon Magic for four years, hoping he'll be able to apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But he also has a dark secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been living a dangerous lie for the chance to become a Dragon-eye, the human link to an energy dragon's power. It is forbidden for females to practice the Dragon Magic and, if discovered, Eon faces a terrible death. After a dazzling sword ceremony, Eon's affinity with the twelve dragons catapults him into the treacherous world of the Imperial court, where he makes a powerful enemy, Lord Ido. As tension builds and Eon's desperate lie comes to light, readers won't be able to stop turning the pages... 
My Thoughts:

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn, is an exquisite, fascinating story that combines Chinese culture, the zodiac animals, swordplay, magic and dragons. It's traditional with code of honor and respect. It's cruel and cunning, sharp and smart and completely imaginative.
Eon is a sixteen year old girl posing as a male so she can train in hopes to be a Dragoneye apprentice. Even though she is a weak link, a cripple, she is also special. She has a rare gift, she can see the presence of the eleven dragons as well as the lost Mirror Dragon, with mind-sight. Something no one else can do. Soon the weight of hope is rested on Eon's shoulders, and she will learn her true fate...as Eona. 

This is the kind of high fantasy that I can't help but crave. Lots of names to remember, politics to understand and emotional play to get lost in. But at the heart of the story it's actually quite simple. It's a story about one girl who got tangled in a web of lies that her master set her upon, its a story about struggling to find her own way...as herself. To belong. To be accepted and ultimately, to survive. As the story moves on it becomes bigger then her and takes on a more dire need. As Eon unfolds in the story, I begun to unfold with her. So much forced-growth in a character right before my eyes and it was incredible to witness each step with each new chapter.

The way of each character is very formal in both speech and physical presence, I don't mean it to sound like they're robotic or dry, quite the opposite in fact, each of them have a commanding presence, from royalty to Dragoneye to servant. They are fair. They are power. They are humble. They know their places. Each role is very defined and rooted. I was going to name a list of characters and what I liked about them, but that would result in a rather long(er) review, so in short, I was very much invested to each and everyone one of them. Chart is one of my favorites though, so he gets a special shout out. He has such a kind and innocent heart. What Eon did for him was absolutely amazing and really touched my heart. There were a few characters that surprised me and some that made me disgusted (Lord Ido I'm looking at you) but no matter who was bad and who was good I thought they were all marvelously created.

The flow of this book is gradual and filled with very fine details, which I feel is the true beauty of this book. It's rich, vivid and stunning.
My only suggestion to anyone who wants to read this is, to take it a few chapters at a time. Let the story absorb in your mind before moving on, otherwise it can be a bit overwhelming or underwhelming depending on your take of the story.
Personally, I loved the way it was written. Alison Goodman writes with passion and grace. There is zero romance in this installment, so if your expecting one then you might be disappointed. It didn't take anything away from the experience for me though since I don't think there was any room for romance in a story this grand. Maybe next book?


All in all, I was very impressed with this book. It has so much heart and soul and I had a great time savoring this right till the very end. An Exceptional Read!

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website
                                                                    4 Snowflakes


Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Awesome review, Tina girl. I don't know why I keep buying these books when I feel so daunted every time I see it. High fantasy is really not my cup of tea unless it's written by Marchetta. I just get inundated with all the terms, worlds, characters and legends. Gah! my head hurts just thinking about it. Lol.

    Glad you enjoyed it, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy:) MM is still the queen of fantasy in my book. It's hard to get lost in books with so much fantastical in them, but this one just took and before I knew it, I was hooked:) Sorry you didn't like this one hun:(

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking about starting this book today. It's great to hear that you enjoyed it. I think I've been convinced to start this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay's! I hope you enjoy it. My only advise is to take it slow and let the story absorb before moving on. There is a lot of world building so you may need a minute lol

      Delete
  3. Nice review! I didn't really like this one, though. I'd dragged through it, not knowing what was happening throughout most of the book. Heard a lot about book 2, though. I have that one high on my TBR. I hope it's gonna be worth the read!

    http://bookaholic-ness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book has a lot of mixed reviews so I know what you mean. Sorry you didn't care for it:( I hope you like the second book though.

      Delete
  4. This was a great review. Since I have been to China, I am always interested in stories about it.

    ReplyDelete