Thursday, August 15, 2013

Aussie Review: Blood Song by Rhiannon Hart

11399605
Blood Song by Rhiannon Hart
Publisher- Random House Australia
Released- Sept 1st 2011
Purchase- Amazon / B & N / TBD


I wanted to turn but I was held captive by the song on the wind. I’m coming, I told the voices. Please, wait for me. When her sister becomes betrothed to a prince in a northern nation, Zeraphina’s only consolations are that her loyal animal companions are by her side – and that her burning hunger to travel north is finally being sated.Already her black hair and pale eyes mark her out as different, but now Zeraphina must be even more careful to keep her secret safe. Craving blood is not considered normal behaviour for anyone, let alone a princess. So when the king’s advisor, Rodden, seems to know more about her condition than she does, Zeraphina is determined to find out more. Zeraphina must be willing to sacrifice everything if she’s to uncover the truth – but what if the truth is beyond her worst nightmares?

My Thoughts:
This being highly recommended by my Goodread friends, I've had this book on my shelf for over a year and I'm only just getting to it now. I could kick myself. I had no idea that this book was filled with such an entertainment story, witty characters and fantastic writing.

For as long as Zeraphina could remember, she's always been different from her sister and mother. With her striking blue eyes, pale skin and dark raven hair, but she also has a shameful secret, she hungry's for blood and has strange phantom dreams calling her to the North. So when her sister, Lilth becomes engaged to Prince Amis from the northern lands of Pergamia, there  Zeraphina will seek answers to her many questions about her clueless curse and find an unlikely companion in Rodden, the King's advisor who knows more then he lets on, but hides the truth from Zeraphina till it's to late to turn back.

Fantasy is one of my favorite genres but it's also one of the hardest to get into, luckily Blood Song was an effortless experience and I was able to sink into Hart's imaginative world with total ease. I love what she did with this story line. It's deliciously mysterious, intriguing and evasive. We know that things aren't what they seem, but we aren't given any real facts till almost the end of the story. This wasn't in any way frustrating or annoying, in fact, I found myself anticipating  every chapter and enjoying all the charming and humorous banter between Rodden and Zeraphina as well as her sister and mother amusing exasperation's. 
When we finally do get the answers to Zeraphina's condition, we are treated to a very unique lore, a wicked race with a promise of danger and excitement and a fight that's only just begun.

Just as easy as it was to lose myself within these pages, it was easy to connect with all of these characters.
Zeraphina is a wonderfully lost creature who seems so strong and vulnerable in the same breath. I love her determination, bravery and fire. I love that she's curious and doesn't give up and that she's not afraid to stand and fight for her people and the ones that she loves. I also love that she cares deeply for her cat, Leap and her eagle, Griffin and that they stay connected throughout the entire story.
Rodden is one of those characters that makes brooding an art form. Mysterious, complex, stubborn and arrogant and yet you can see traces of warmth and tenderness when no one seems to be looking. There's still a big question mark hanging over his head and I'm looking forward to discovering more of his back-story in later books. 
The relationship between Rodden and Zeraphina isn't about hugs and kisses or swooning, 
but they still had their sigh-worthy moments. I loved their easy wit, banter and playful sarcasm and the respect and admiration they found in one another come the end. They make an intense pair but undeniable one all the same. 

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. I don't get a chance to read many awesome Aussie reads, so I'm glad I had the chance to finally read this one and better yet, not have to wait to read the sequel; Blood Storm. If your looking for a paranormal fantasy with charming characters and an intoxicating world, then look no further, Blood Song is a wondrous magical escape that I highly recommend.

Find the author: 
Goodreads / Website                                  5 Snowflakes

Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to go see if I can get my hands on this one ASAP! It sounds so so so amazing and I wants to read it! Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to pick up the second book myself lol Hope you enjoy!:)

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked this Tina. I had a hard time getting into this book but at the time, I was really tired to vampires and paranormal in general.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy:) I know what you mean about moods, I'm like that too. I've been reading a lot of sci-fi lately, so this was a pleasant experience;)

      Delete
  3. One, this book has such a gorgeous cover. I love it. Two, it sounds like a great book from the summary and from your review. I wonder if my library carries a copy... Thanks for sharing your review!

    Laureen @ Ms. Bibliophile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if is available at the library, but I hope you get a copy soon:) I love the cover too:D

      Delete
  4. I have not much time to visit many websites. But today I found this site accidently. I explored much information which is useful to my life. Thanks! Plastic Surgery Before and After

    ReplyDelete