Thursday, May 23, 2013

Review: The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace


The Truth About You and MeThe Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace
Publisher: Flux
Release Date: September 8, 2013
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes and Noble
Smart girls aren't supposed to do stupid things.
Madelyn Hawkins is super smart. At sixteen, she's so gifted that she can attend college through a special program at her high school. On her first day, she meets Bennet. He's cute, funny, and kind. He understands Madelyn and what she's endured - and missed out on - in order to excel academically and please her parents. Now, for the first time in her life, she's falling in love.
There's only one problem. Bennet is Madelyn's college professor, and he thinks she's eighteen - because she hasn't told him the truth.
The story of their forbidden romance is told in letters that Madelyn writes to Bennet - both a heart-searing ode to their ill-fated love and an apology.

My Thoughts:
Wow when I picked this up I didn't expect to feel as connected to the story as I ended up feeling.  I knew the subject manner before hand, but after reading Madelyn's recount of what happened between her and Bennett my heart really just broke in two.

The story is very simple, 16 year old falls for her 26 year old professor. What makes this story unique is Bennett, the professor.  See Madelyn is in an advanced program at her high school so he really doesn't know how old she is, he just assumes she is old enough to be a freshman in college.  I know that he should have asked and yes I realize that even 18 to 26 is a big age gap, but most of my friends have bigger age gaps than that so I didn't mind Bennett wanting her when he thought she was 18.  I really loved his character.  He knew the rules about teachers and students so he made Madelyn a promise, he told her that the minute his course was over and he was no longer her teacher they could be together.  He waited for her like a responsible gentleman.  I loved him for that and I was so proud when he stuck by their agreement.  Madelyn made very bad decisions, but when you are 16 that happens a lot. I wasn't proud of her for keeping it from him, but like I said 16 year olds typically don't make the right decisions.  So when he found out her age after certain intimate situations occurred I completely understood his reaction. It wasn't pretty and Madelyn knew she had it coming.  I only wish she would have told him sooner.

This isn't a pretty story and I thought the ending was brilliant.  I wanted something positive to happen after the disaster of a confrontation and I couldn't have asked for more than what the author gave us.  Again it isn't perfect with a bow, but life isn't always that way.  Half of my heart did want a different conclusion, but after reading the ending I realized that things were meant to be this way.  No one meant to hurt anyone and Madelyn makes that abundantly clear with her letters to Bennett.

I am a fan of Amanda Grace and this was another wonderful addition to her amazing collection of books.  If you want something that is real then I think you will enjoy this title.

3 Snowflakes

7 comments:

  1. I've always been hesitant about reading this because Madelyn doesn't sound like a character that I would like and all of the student-teacher relationship books i've read we'rent executed properly, but I think i'm willing to give this book a chance. It sounds so bittersweet, after all. Great insight!

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like this one. Madelyn isn't my favorite character but I looked past a lot of things that normally bother me because of Bennett. He is worth reading this one =) I hope you enjoy it if you pick it up!

      Delete
  2. This one sounds good! I think that people who write about things like this have a lot of guts and it sounds like this one got it right! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I have really been in the mood for books that are taboo and this one definitely fits. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I got this ARC last week and I am excited to read it. Sometimes, the best books come from sensitive topics.

    Thanks for the *early* review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay I will keep my eye out for your review! I have really been on the look out for books that have sensitive subjects, I blame Forbidden. After I read that book I just wanted more dark and twisty stuff lol!

      =)

      Delete
  4. I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    Website
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete