Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: The Originals by Cat Patrick

The Originals
The Originals by Cat Patrick
Publisher-Little Brown Books
Release-May 7th 2013
Purchase- Amazon / B & N / Chapters

17-year-olds Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey Best grew up as identical triplets... until they discovered a shocking family secret. They're actually closer than sisters, they're clones. Hiding from a government agency that would expose them, the Best family appears to consist of a single mother with one daughter named Elizabeth. Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey take turns going to school, attending social engagements, and a group mindset has always been a de facto part of life...Then Lizzie meets Sean Kelly, a guy who seems to see into her very soul. As their relationship develops, Lizzie realizes that she's not a carbon copy of her sisters; she's an individual with unique dreams and desires, and digging deeper into her background, Lizzie begins to dismantle the delicate balance of an unusual family that only science could have created.
My Thoughts:
Ella, Lizzie and Betsey make up one person. Elizabeth Best. They may look like triplets but they're actually clones living in hiding. Their overly obsessed protective mom makes them live a life as one, so the girls separate their days by thirds. That is, till Lizzie did something unthinkable. She fell in love.
The girls are so use to their every day routine that they wouldn't even think twice about changing it. But when Sean looked at Lizzie in a way that made her feel alive and noticed for the first time in almost 17 years, her heart started to want something more. But if three people are suppose to live one life, dating seems like an impossible task. But as the story moves on, it becomes bigger then stolen kisses and sneaking out. It's a story about science, identity and the ultimate truth.

The Originals is a pretty fun and even cool concept. Cat Patrick is a great writer and I liked the general story line. I liked the girls and thought their everyday life was fascinating, completely insane, but fascinating none the less. It was really neat and a bit twisted to see the girls shuffle their day to day routine and accept it with perfect ease. That is till they started to want something more.
In the beginning, I had a hard time trying to wrap my head around the why's. Why live this way? Why as one person? Why not as triplets? And I started to really resent the mother for putting science in front of her daughters happiness. As the story moves on I thought the answers would make it all come together, and in a way it does, but it felt a bit...lacking and a little disappointing. Like the punch wasn't enough to make a huge impact. I still liked the plot concept, mind you, but I think I was just expecting more.

With that said, I still really liked the girls and thought they carried the story quite well. This was told in Lizzie's pov, but it was easy to connect with the other girls, Ella and Betsey, as well. Patrick did a good job giving them all individual voices and personalities. I liked their bond and close connection. They share something incredible and unique, but they also fight and support one another like true sisters do.
But I think my favorite part of this book would be the sweet-as-sin romance. Patrick really nailed that awkward beginning stage in relationships. Where everything is still unsure and sweet and adorable.
I really liked the way Sean reacted to Lizzie's predicament. Constantly worried about her for her and for himself. It felt realistic and I was relieved that someone was at least concerned enough to ask the right questions. But I also liked the way he never gave up and supported Lizzie and her sisters till everything was said and done. Their swoon-worthy moments were the most entertaining part of the entire story and if I'm being honest is what really made me want to finish this till the very end. 

Bottom line, this turned out to be a fun fast little read. I didn't find it very mysterious or thrilling or even suspenseful. But it has a lovely romance that made me smile and captures some wonderful sisterly moments. A decent read, perfect for laying around on a warm sunny day.

Find author:
                                                                   3.5 Snowflakes
                                                                     

6 comments:

  1. I'm always interested in subjects like this. Cloning is fascinating, so I can't wait to see how it works out in this book :) and ahh, swoon-worthy romance can be so much fun sometimes.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang sounds similar.

      Delete
  2. Then I think you should have fun with this book:) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really cool. I like books that take new concepts on. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review. I've been curious about this book so maybe i'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

    Slides.com
    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete