Thursday, August 13, 2015

Upcoming Release & Review: The Boy Most Likely To by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Expected publication: August 18, 2015
Publisher: Dial Books
A surprising, utterly romantic companion to My Life Next Door—great for fans of Sarah Dessen and Jenny Han


Tim Mason was The Boy Most Likely To find the liquor cabinet blindfolded, need a liver transplant, and drive his car into a house

Alice Garrett was The Girl Most Likely To . . . well, not date her little brother’s baggage-burdened best friend, for starters.

For Tim, it wouldn’t be smart to fall for Alice. For Alice, nothing could be scarier than falling for Tim. But Tim has never been known for making the smart choice, and Alice is starting to wonder if the “smart” choice is always the right one. When these two crash into each other, they crash hard.

Then the unexpected consequences of Tim’s wild days come back to shock him. He finds himself in a situation that isn’t all it appears to be, that he never could have predicted . . . but maybe should have.

And Alice is caught in the middle.

Told in Tim’s and Alice’s distinctive, disarming, entirely compelling voices, this novel is for readers of The Spectacular Now, Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, and Paper Towns. 

My Thoughts
I was really excited about diving into the second installment of Huntley Fitzpatrick’s novel My Life Next Door. I remember that book being a perfect summer read that satisfied my YA contemporary craving that never ceases to wane. Unfortunately, The Boy Most Likely To didn’t quite hit the mark for me in so many subtle ways.

Having met Tim Mason and Alice Garrett in the first book, I was looking forward to seeing them get their own installment. I remember Jase’s best friend Tim being a hot mess that kept making mistake after mistake. Well, as the title indicates, he’s the boy most likely to not finish high school, get drunk night after night, and seriously disappoint his family because of his choices.

Alice is Jase’s older sister that seems to be struggling in a different sort of way. She's the backbone of her family that is keeping them afloat as their father recovers from an accident that left him badly injured. As she balances finishing nursing school, taking care of her siblings, running the household and helping with the family business, she knows that last thing she has time for is to fall for Tim that seems to be stumbling through life.

Together these two uncover an attraction and work toward finding a middle ground in the mess that is their life.

Well first off, let me share that it took me three LONG weeks to finish this book. It wasn’t quite what I had hoped for, and I had such a hard time connecting with these characters. I also had a difficult time picking up on the cadence of the dual narrative. I never seemed to find my stride and enjoy Alice and Tim’s journey. I didn’t have a difficult time with the age difference, but it would have been nice for Tim to at least be of legal age… that would have been an easier pill to swallow for some of the stuff that happened in this book.

If I had to pull anything positive from this book, I have to admit that I really liked the ending despite how long it took me to get there.

Overall, not quite what I was expecting for a summer, contemporary read. It seemed to have missed the mark for me in more ways than one.
3 Snowflakes

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't live up! I've heard good things about this author, and have been meaning to pick her up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked her first book and recommend that one to YA contemporary fans. :)

      Delete