Friday, August 21, 2015

Aussie Book Review: Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood

Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia
Release Date: August 1, 2010
Fourteen year old nerd-boy Dan Cereill is not quite coping with a reversal of family fortune, moving house, new school hell, a mother with a failing wedding cake business, a just-out gay dad, and an impossible crush on Estelle, the girl next door. His life is a mess, but for now he's narrowed it down to just six impossible things...

My Thoughts
Quote: "Something large and happy has unfolded in my chest, erupting in a smile that won’t quit. I can’t remember ever feeling so light-hearted. Or is my heart full? Or bursting? Not aching, that’s for sure."

Wow! Have I ever wanted to tackle hug a protag! I have to say hands down Dan from Six Impossible Things has hijacked my heart! It’s not too often we get the luxury of reading a YA Contemporary in a guy’s POV, and this book is a perfect example of how awesome they can be. This story pulled at my heart strings tighter and tighter after every chapter and by the time it was ending, I knew I was going to have a hard time letting go.

In this story, we meet Dan Cereill and he’s having a tough time coping with life seeing as his family has lost their fortune; he’s having to move to a new house and a new school; deal with a mom that’s managing a failing wedding cake business; and coming to grips with a dad that’s not only left the family, but just revealed he’s gay. It seems like asking for one life changing event at a time seems to be too much. But in the mist of crisis, Dan has narrowed down his efforts to accomplishing six things to turn his life around… How impossible can that be?

Six Impossible Things is filled with great characters, witty narrative, heartfelt moments, and worthy life lessons. This is a story about first love, humiliation, struggle and ultimate self discovery that does nothing short of reminding you how quickly life changes, but how great it can become.

What else would you expect from an Aussie book? Nothing but shear perfection! I loved this entire cast of characters and Fiona Wood has made me an instant fan. Perfect one-sitting read that shouldn’t be missed.

Two lines I won’t soon forget:
"There’s this sky I like…"
"I love you big time…"


5 Snowflakes

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I'm curious about the characters now and I'd like to see how this family copes with their situation. Thanks for bringing the book to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete