Sunday, September 27, 2015

Review: Dreamland by Robert Anderson


Dreamland by Robert L. Anderson
Published September 22nd 2015
by HarperTeen

Odea Donahue has been able to travel through people’s dreams since she was six years old. Her mother taught her the three rules of walking: Never interfere. Never be seen. Never walk the same person’s dream more than once. Dea has never questioned her mother, not about the rules, not about the clocks or the mirrors, not about moving from place to place to be one step ahead of the unseen monsters that Dea’s mother is certain are right behind them. Then a mysterious new boy, Connor, comes to town and Dea finally starts to feel normal. As Connor breaks down the walls that she’s had up for so long, he gets closer to learning her secret. For the first time she wonders if that’s so bad. But when Dea breaks the rules, the boundary between worlds begins to deteriorate. How can she know what’s real and what’s not?


My Thoughts

I am giving up on dreams! I have now read quite a few books that involved the concept of "dream walking" and sadly all of them have fell flat for me. Dreams are such amazing beautiful things. I just don't feel this book captured what could have been. It was there but, just too little too late for me.

The characters in this book were okay. Mr. Anderson seemed to draw upon human insecurities and infuse them into Dea and Connor. Although I felt Dreamland was more plot driven, the character drive was absolutely apparent in it's own right. That being said I also felt Dea to be a bit boring and not to mention naive. I am harsh I know but REALLY GIRL!? As hard as I tried to empathize with her situation I just couldn't get behind her or her search. So much bad decision making!!!! Actually all the people in this book are less then believable. I mean the conclusions they jump to are just plain ridic.There are 3 simple rules you must not break while dream walking.

Don't be seen.
Don't interfere.
Don't visit the same person more than once.

Great job breaking all of those rules the second you get a crush on some guy. I liked Connor well enough but, I did not enjoy the whole boy next door bit...again. Can't he live like a block over or something?

When the big "reveal" finally happened, I was beyond the point of salvage. Also...how convenient! It felt like the cheap tie up with a string routine. As I said before dreams are infinite and can be anything. It gets to me how the books I've read involving them are so very lacking. I am left with more questions than I care to have upon completing a book. Don't get me wrong his dream world was probably my favorite part of the book and I will have nightmares of faceless men for weeks. Still not enough though.

2 Snowflakes





0 comments:

Post a Comment