Monday, June 29, 2015

Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick



My Life Next Door (My Life Next Door #1) by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Published June 14th 2012 by Dial Books For Young Readers 


"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."
The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself? A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.

My Thoughts

Sam Reed lives in a perfect bubble. Her mother is State Senator which has always lead a privileged life, even without knowing it. Perhaps that is why she is so fascinated with the hectic, messy, loud, crowded family of Garrett's. She has been watching them her whole life from a far. Suddenly, she is swept up into their madness in the best way possible. Jase and Sam are perfect for each other and she adores her family but while their loves grows stronger her family life becomes more volatile as a secret threatens to bring down the house...literally.

This book was adorable!! I have been hearing great things for years and I was so happy to be agreement with all the hubbub. I have a really hard time with YA contemporary since I grew up a bit different then many of the M.C.'s. Let's just say I was more of a cross between Tim & Alice instead of Jace & Sam. I have since grown up but still have a hard time relating yet this one fascinated me. Mrs. Fitzpatrick really captured the details of a first love perfectly, even the awkward slightly uncomfortable minutes. There was something so enthralling about that first love feel between those two. They were just cute as buttons without inciting any eye rolling. The dialogue was incredibly strong as well. In fact, if I was to have any complaints at all (not that I do), but I would say that things at times were a bit too wordy which slowed the pace. This was easily overlooked though.

The supporting cast was incredibly strong in their own right. Each character was incredibly detailed and yet they all somehow complemented each other perfectly. Let me just say that I squealed with delight to find the companion/sequels main focus is the ever feisty Alice and reformed screw up (who more than completely redeemed himself) Tim. I CAN'T WAIT!! 

I will absolutely be looking for any more Huntley books I can. I am about to read What I Thought Was True as well!! These are seriously some perfect summer swoons.

4 Snowflakes








2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one so much even if you couldn't relate with the main characters as much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this one was pretty good -- a solid 4 stars for me, too! I'm curious about her other books now since there are such rave reviews! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete