Monday, September 1, 2014

Review: Whisper the Dead by Alyxandra Harvey

20601784
Whisper the Dead by Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher- Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Released- Oct 7th 2014
Pre-Order- Amazon / B & N

Cousins Gretchen, Emma, and Penelope are all dealing with what it means to be a Lovegrove. For Gretchen, it means she often feels like her head is going to explode. As a Whisperer, Gretchen constantly hears the whispers of other witches’ spells. And while this does help her to know when one of her own spells is going wrong, the incessant buzzing and pain the whispers cause makes it difficult to use her gift.But when something evil begins to menace Mayfair, Gretchen must find a way to master her power. Along with her cousins, a madcap named Moira, and the icy yet irresistible Tobias Lawless, Gretchen faces deadly threats and unimaginable loss in the hopes of preventing the terrible Greymalkin Sisters from rising again. The second book in The Lovegrove Legacy trilogy, Whisper the Dead will leave readers spellbound.
My Thoughts:
Whisper the Dead, is the second book in The Lovegrove Legacy and just as magical and intriguing as the first book. I have always loved Harvey's books. They are always filled with so much fun and fascination. I still tend to find historical reads a little hard to get into, but the way Harvey tells it, it felt so easy to sink into this world and enjoy the rich details, colourful characters and clever dialogue.

The storyline is quite busy with it's multiple point of views and endless string of power and magic that seems to bleed from the pages, so while it was at times, a bit overwhelming, I didn't find it overly confusing or frustrating. While this instalment is really  Gretchen story, we still have the other character to keep us informed and entertained. The plot has thickened up immensely, adding in new twist and turns I never saw coming. The pace and flow was perfectly stretched to ensure that readers stay alert and on their toes the entire experience and the setting is, as always, beautifully vivid and rich in both romance and magical intrigue and I completely adored how much Harvey put into this brilliant world.

I really love all these wonderfully put together characters. They are all blended together effortlessly. I loved the crisp dialogue and all the witty ways that gives each of them all such a unique voice and personality, especially given the large length of the cast.
Gretchen has always been entirely her own person, despite what high society thinks a proper lady should be. I love her feist, fight and determination to master her newfound powers as a Whisperer. 
I wasn't sure of Tobias at first since he seems a little aggressive at the beginning, but soon we see a different side to him. He's fiercely loyal to the Order and tries to deny his true-self, but I still loved his protectiveness and kind heart. I thought Gretchen and Tobias made a wonderful pair. They have great chemistry and provided the perfect balance to challenge and bring out the best in one another.
I really loved seeing Emma and Cormac again as well. They are a darling couple that made me smile. I'm greatly looking forward to Penelope's story next. She is such a hopeless romantic at heart and so incredibly sweet. I'm totally rooting for Cedric. Just saying.
However, I was really upset when it came to Godric's character. I simple adored him and I'm sad to see where fate took him.

Bottom line, I had a lot of fun with this book. The world Harvey created is brilliantly dazzling and dangerous and these characters will keep you invested from minute one. Charming and enchanting, this is my idea of an amazing escape. 

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                                4 Snowflakes

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to check this series out. I love a well paced book with well timed twists that you don't see coming.Great review I'm sold. Matt @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvey has great skills when it comes to storytelling, I hope you enjoy this:)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read a good historical in some time. This might be a good one. Thanks so much for sharing this author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to have a hard time with them, but this was more supernatural then historical which was fun:) Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete