Monday, January 21, 2013

Review: Mila 2.0 Debra Driza

MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release date: March 12, 2013
Pre order: Amazon / Barnes & Noble
Mila 2.0 is the first book in an electrifying sci-fi thriller series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is an experiment in artificial intelligence.

Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past —that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.

Mila 2.0 is Debra Driza’s bold debut and the first book in a Bourne Identity–style trilogy that combines heart-pounding action with a riveting exploration of what it really means to be human. Fans of I Am Number Four will love Mila for who she is and what she longs to be—and a cliffhanger ending will leave them breathlessly awaiting the sequel.
Crystal's Thoughts:
You know when you read certain books you just know they would make great movies?  Well Mila 2.0 is one of them.  I would pay way more than the average movie ticket to see this on the big screen.  This book is high paced, action heavy, and so full of adrenaline.  It was perfection!

Mila having just moved to a new town with her mom is just trying to move on from the death of her father.  Things aren't great in her world but she makes the most of it by keeping quiet and staying out of trouble.  Little does she know that trouble is just around the corner waiting.  When Mila discovers there is more to herself than just being a girl all hale breaks loose.  Fighting scenes start happening and I mean the kick bookies kind and well you will just have to read it to see, but this action packed book is one you won't want to miss.

I loved everything about this book.  From the characters to the world everything was perfect.  Mila was the perfect blend between kickass girl and humble.  She never let herself turn into something she wasn't.  I cannot believe the things she had to go through and I am very much looking forward to seeing who she evolves into in the sequel.   I am also very interested to see more of Hunter.  I have my suspicions about him and I am hoping with everything inside me that I am wrong, but I know there is more to this boy.  He was a great addition to the story and I have a feeling we will see why he was brought into the picture more in the second.

I can't say it enough I really loved this book.  It has me on the edge of my seat the entire time and I cannot wait to see what happens next.  I have read everything from vampires to zombies, but this is my first android book and all I can say is I want more so much more!

p.s. Please tell me there is a movie in the works!!
5 Snowflakes
Amber's Thoughts
Mila 2.0 was moving, and an emotional journey. When I started this book, it took me a few chapters to really feel an emotional connection. I felt Mila was a little whiney but as the story progressed, I became deeply committed. This story is about a young girl who has no idea of what her true nature really was. As far as she knew, she was a typical teenager, rebellious and hurting from the loss of her father and moving to Minnesota away from the only home she had known in Philly.

The story picked up when an incident occurred and Mila learns that she is so much more than the “normal” teenager and the memories of her childhood were mere implants. Strange things begin happening to Mila and the adjustment of the truth and what wasn’t began the emotional connection for me. Mila had truly shown real emotion when she connected with a classmate named Hunter. I really liked this character and although he seemed like a great guy, I feel there is more to him than we are led to believe.

On the run, Mila and her Mom fled Minnesota as the truth began catching up to them, and the guy who’s behind the Mila project. This chase is adrenaline fueled and your pages will be flipping. The love that Mila’s mom has for her only truly begins to shine through. This story is so much richer because not only does her mother stop at nothing to save Mila and her humanity, but because Mila’s humanity was real and she fought for it for both of them.

Mila had to pass tests in order to see her mother and was to hide the very thing she had fought for in order to do so. This may not make sense to you right now, but once you read this story you certainly will understand. Luck had not been on their side as there was a force that regardless of how well Mila did, it wasn’t going to be enough. I felt frustrated through this testing process but at the same time, my heart ached for Mila because she really was like a human and wanted nothing more than to live a life of normalcy.

There are many roadblocks for this strong protagonist to face and many new revelations as to her past and her future. Just when Mila was beginning to lose hope, an act of compassion was shown which turned the tides in her favor. I was rooting for Lucas, Mila and her Mom. This story left off on a cliffy if you ask me. It left the doors open to so many possibilities. I can say without a doubt I will be waiting for that next book.

This story was character driven and the plot was set nicely. I loved the characters and the emotional connection I had with them. The bad guys were bad, the good guys were good, and the author played her cards with precision. I never anticipated she would go to a particular depth, but I was surprisingly wrong. As much as it hurt, It was a pivotal point in the story. Mila 2.0 was a fantastic debut.

4.5 Snowflakes




16 comments:

  1. It's great that both of you loved it! I received it from Edelweiss a while ago, and I'm really looking forward to reading it.
    Awesome reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this book! I haven't read it yet, but it should be up on my TBR list in the next month. Nice to know it's going to be great!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it when you get to it =) Happy reading!

      Delete
  3. The characters and story sound great, and I can't wait to read it.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was one of my favorites, I hope you like it =)

      Delete
  4. I am so excited to read this this one! I think part of what makes me want to read it that much more is the fact that it was optioned for a sci-fi thriller on ABC by Shonda Rhimes. I watch all of her other shows and thoroughly enjoy them so it has to be good! Great reviews! I'll be picking up a copy when it is released, ASAP! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found that out from one of my friends! I watch all her shows too and I totally agree! I hope you enjoy it when you get it!!

      Delete
  5. Wow, after reading both your reviews I'm convinced I need to pick this up! I love action packed stories and I've never read about an android either. I loved The Sarah Connor Chronicles (TV show) and the "robot," was one of my favorite characters. I'm going to add this to the ever growing TBR. Fabulous review ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I hope you like it! I loved the android part of it, it gave the book a whole new twist. Did you like The Bourne Identity? It was a lot like that but for YA lol.

      Thanks Rachel!

      Delete
  6. Amazing reviews from you both!! Thanks SO much for sharing :D I've been wanting to read this one since I first heard about it - I'm thrilled that you both loved it so much!! I'm even more excited about this one now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope you get it soon and that you enjoy it =) Have you downloaded the prequel??

      Delete
  7. I am so excited to read this book! I got it as an e arc and keep reading other things before it (trying to stick to a schedule otherwise I will never read my past tbrs) and its so hard because it looks so good.
    Your reviews have me so excited now.
    I..Must..Resist..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I totally understand! I have a list as well and it is so hard not to deviate from it!! With so many books coming out this year I am going to go crazy lol! I hope you get to read this one soon =)

      Delete
  8. Great reviews! I want to read this book so bad and the cover looks incredible! It does kind of sound like Adam & Eve boom that I just read but more in details about the actual experience. Ohhhh I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ohh I have that one and if it is anything like this then I need to move it up on my TBR! Thanks for the heads up! I hope you get to read this one soon =)

      Delete