Thursday, March 3, 2016

Review: Dreamology by Lucy Keating

25817310
Dreamology by Lucy Keating
Publisher- Harper Teen
Released- April 12th 2016
Pre-Order- Amazon / B & N


Vibrantly offbeat and utterly original, Lucy Keating’s debut novel combines the unconventional romance of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with the sweetness and heart of Jenny Han.For as long as Alice can remember, she has dreamed of Max. Together, they have traveled the world and fallen deliriously, hopelessly in love. Max is the boy of her dreams—and only her dreams. Because he doesn’t exist.But when Alice walks into class on her first day at a new school, there he is. Real Max is nothing like Dream Max. He’s stubborn and complicated. And he has a whole life Alice isn’t a part of. Getting to know each other in reality isn’t as perfect as Alice always hoped.Alarmingly, when their dreams start to bleed into their waking hours, the pair realize that they might have to put an end to a lifetime of dreaming about each other. But when you fall in love in your dreams, can reality ever be enough?
My Thoughts: 
Man, I can't seem to wipe this stupid grin from my face. Seriously, I had no idea I'd love Dreamology so much, this was exactly what I needed. It's creative, funny, adorable and the sweetest thing ever. Max and Alice have a very unique connection. They've know each other since they were little kids and grew up exploring the world and creating this amazing bond, but here's the thing, they've never really met. They only know each other from their dreams. That is until Alice and her dad move from New York to Boston and Alice attends Bennett Academy, walks into class and sees the boy of her dreams standing at the door. Max. He's real and it's almost like a dream come true, but it would seem that reality might have a different plan.

Can I just say I'm totally in love with Lucy Keating writing! I absolutely loved how easy it was to sink into this book, her writing is effortless and intelligent. I loved the flow and pace of the story and how everything played out. I kept finding myself  re-reading passages and dialogue multiple times before I could read more, all the while I had a goofy smile plastered from ear to ear. I wasn't sure I wanted to savour this book or devour it in one sitting. I swear, I don't think there is one character that I didn't love. I found it so incredibly refreshing that every character in this book was kind. Flawed, sure, but genuinely nice. I also thought it was wonderful going into a book that wasn't tainted with overly depressing or heart-harded issues. There were moments of sadness, sure, but it was never overly done. Mind you we still have our share of drama and angst, but it was cleverly written and the story always felt light and warm and even magical.

The concept is really quite fascinating and incredibly imaginative. It's a thought provoking story that explores the science and magic behind dreams but it's also a story about family, friends and how to deal with lost. But I think my favorite part of this book were the dreams. Max and Alice's dreams are filled with exotic, wild adventures that are rich, vivid and spectacular. It makes me wish I could dream like that, it was so beautiful. But it was more then how the dreams looked, it was how Max and Alice connected to each other. It took them away from their lonely reality and gave them this dream-like-wonderland, giving them something to hold onto. Each other. Still, Max and Alice find themselves in a very confusing and conflicting situation. It's one thing to know that your dream-childhood friend actually exists, but they have to figure out the why's and how's of it all since it seems that their dreams are bleeding into their reality and their sanity might just be on the line.

There are two versions of Max in this book. Dream Max and real Max. At first, I thought I liked Dream Max more. He's was more spontaneous and silly and well, free, while real Max is more grounded, serious and in control. The back and forth and hot and cold attitude was really killing me and at several points I really wished I could have reached in the book to smack Max straight, but the more I got to understand him, I realized, like Alice, that you can have more then one version of yourself and still love who the person is. As for Alice? I loved her instantly. She's quirky and sweet and I love how alive she always seemed to be despite the issues with her mother and how she clings on to her dreamworld. The romance in this was so flippin' cute. It's those little things that they remembered  about the other that made my heart do flips, it's the tension, banter and uncertainty that made them so irresistible and it was all those dame stolen kisses and tender moments that made me want to read this book forever.
At one point of the story I almost wanted Alice with Oliver. He's this wonderful, funny, carefree guy with contagious energy and a great sense of adventure, but from the start we always knew who owned Alice's heart. I also loved Sophie, she's exactly the kind of support you need and want in a best friend. And last but not least I absolutely loved Jerry and truly believe this book wouldn't be the same without him.

Bottom line, this book was prefect for me. It's the kind of book that just takes you away. It made me think, made me feel and made me laugh and made me smile the entire way through. Loved the concept, the amazing storytelling and all of these unforgettable characters. Instant love and one of my favorite books of 2016. A wonderful debut from Lucy Keating, I greatly look forward to seeing what she comes up with next. She is definitely an author to look out for! Bravo!

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                                  5 Snowflakes

6 comments:

  1. I have an e-ARC of this one and after reading your review, I'm even more excited to get started on it! I think I'll pick it up after my current read :D

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! It was just such a sweet escape:)

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting. And the cover is beautiful. Thanks for your review. I'm going to add this in my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day!
    Dewa Liga
    Dewaliga.net
    www.dewaliga.net
    Dewa Liga
    Dewaliga.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks! Sports Betting Games Sports Betting Sports Betting Strategy

    ReplyDelete