Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Burn Bright (Night Creatures, #1) by Marianne de Pierres




Rating 4 Snowflakes


 Okay that's it! I am packing my bags TODAY and moving to Australia! I don't know what they have over there that we don't but I really wish somebody would share the secret. In the past few months I have read several books and I can only think of a few US authors that have made my top 10. Every Aussie book I have had read is on that top 10 list and this one is no exception. First I have to thank Nomes over at http://www.inkcrush.blogspot.com/ for sending this one out. Nomes you are the absolute bestest ever!!
Now on to Burn Bright...
Retra, a Seal from Grave, decides to run away from home to find her brother Joel who left to go to Ixion. A Seal is a person who is taught to seal off their minds and emotions. They are never to interact with others unless necessary and they are also limited in their knowledge of other places. Joel decides he can't live like this anymore and runs away leaving Retra to pick up the pieces and to be punished for his actions. He goes to Ixion which is a place where young people go to forget about rules and just live. It is built on a island in a cave like place where there is no light. All new baby bats (the new girls and boys) are told to stay on the lighted path and to just enjoy their new life ie Burn Bright. When Retra decides to find Joel she discovers that there is more going on than just parties and her new life may not be all that great. She is used to modesty and in Ixion there is to be none of that so right off she stands out. Her agenda is not to party and partake in the many drugs that are offered but to just find her brother and try to create a new life somewhere with him. Things get complicated when she helps a friend fend off a Guardian and finds herself put into danger for her actions. With Joel not being the brother she remembers she has to learn how to save herself.

I loved the creepiness of the novel. The author really brought out the dark creatures and all the imagery very well. I could feel the darkness closing in on me while I read this book.  The characters that were created also had a darkness about them.  Especially Lenior who I think cares for Retra.  I found a couple of scenes rather icky with him but I can see why they were put there and I have to say I am looking forward to reading more about him in the sequel.

What follows is a deep and dark tale that has many twists and turns. I am very excited to read the sequel as I think the story will be even better than the first. I have so many questions that I want answered and I really hope that I get to read the next one because I have to know what happens with Lenior and Retra.


1 comment:

  1. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

    Information
    Click Here
    Tapas.io

    ReplyDelete