Saturday, January 7, 2017

Review: The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn #1) by Renee Ahdieh

Published: May 12, 2015
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
One Life to One Dawn.

In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.

Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?

Inspired by A Thousand and One Nights, The Wrath and the Dawn is a sumptuous and enthralling read from beginning to end.

My Thoughts
“Some things exist in our lives for but a brief moment. And we must let them go on to light another sky.”

Amazing story building, character development and pacing, which ultimately leads to an explosive ending. I loved it!

I've had The Wrath & the Dawn in my sights for quite some time, and I'm glad I finally got around to it. Renee Ahdieh did an incredible job of crafting a YA Fantasy/Romance that incorporated a good dose of intrigue and drama. She had me captivated the entire time.

The Wrath & the Dawn, inspired by A Thousand and One Nights, tells the story of Khalid who is a young boy king/caliph of Khorason. He is known by his people as the monster ruler who marries a different girl every night and kills her at dawn.

When Shahrzad’s (Shazi) best friend becomes Khalid’s victim, she volunteers to be the next in line to marry the caliph. Her motives are to avenge the deaths of the girls who have come before her and murder Khalid in order to end his reign of terror. However, as weeks and then months pass, Shazi finds herself falling in love with Khalid and uncovering hidden secrets that spin a different perspective on who he really is. Her love for the caliph soon becomes a driving force that has her family and friends wondering how her allegiance could have shifted to this murderous monster.

It might be surprising to know that there is an incredible love story that develops in this novel. “I love you, she said. Khalid lifted his head to hers. She placed a hand against his cheek. Beyond words.” I truly adored the slow building romance that made The Wrath & the Dawn come to life. Shazi and Khalid were a perfect match. Shazi is strong, fierce, bold, cunning, outspoken and does not cower to anyone. Khalid, on the other hand, is mysterious, quiet, unassuming, and difficult to dislike.

“You have a beautiful laugh. Like the promise of tomorrow.”
Shazi is a perfect heroine for this story of drama and intrigue. She has so many qualities about her that give her strength and purpose, and it was heartwarming to see Khalid fall for this hurricane of a girl.

“I’ve missed the silence of you listening to me.” Shahrzad attempted a weak smile. “No one listens to me as you do.” His expression turned quizzical. “You don’t wait to speak,” she clarified. “You truly listen.” “Only to you,” Khalid replied gently.”
The moments that Shahrzad and Khalid shared throughout the novel really made the story entrancing and fascinating. I constantly longed to see more of these scenes shared because it was clear how perfect Shazi and Khalid were for one another.

“Shazi, I prefer the color blue to any other. The scent of lilacs in your hair is a source of constant torment. I despise figs. Lastly, I will never forget, all the days of my life, the memories of last night— For nothing, not the sun, not the rain, not even the brightest star in the darkest sky, could begin to compare to the wonder of you.” ~Khalid
Renee Ahdeih has a true gift in creating poetic moments with her words. I typically don’t connect with characters when their story is told in the third person. However, The Wrath & the Dawn was narrated in such a way that it was difficult not to feel the characters’ emotions.

The secondary characters were also perfect additions to this story. Jalal (Captain of Khalid’s guard and his cousin) was a great companion to Khalid. Despina (Shahzad’s handmaiden) did a wonderful job of putting Shazi in her place. Even Tariq (Shahzad’s first love) contributes to the drama and intrigue of this story.

Overall, The Wrath & the Dawn was the perfect fictional journey to start off the New Year! It has become my newest YA Fantasy obsession, and I can’t wait to see what's next in the adventure.
4.5 Snowflakes

9 comments:

  1. I am glad to see that you liked this one! I've bene hearing so many good things about it but I still haven't read it. Hopefully I get around to it this year!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I hope you like it too Krystianna! :)

      Delete
  2. This isn't the type of book I'd normally read. Usually I prefer realistic fiction, but I like the romance behind it.
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romance was a perfect addition to this YA fantasy. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you loved this one! It's one of my favorite books, and definitely such a fantastic duet too. I can't wait for her new book to release later this year--I am ready for so many more swoons! ;) Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read book two Keertana. I'm waiting for my turn in the library queue. :)

      Delete
  4. This is the most anticipated book on my TBR this year. I'm so mad at myself for not reading it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to it soon Lekeisha! It's really good!

      Delete
  5. You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete