Monday, December 5, 2011

Enclave Audio Book Review

Enclave (Razorland, #1)Enclave by Ann Aguirre



Published by Feiwel and Friends
Audio by Macmillan Audio  
Released Date: April 12, 2011
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes and Noble


 
WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE

In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.

As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.

Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first Deuce thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace.

As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known
                                                     
My thoughts:
What a rush!  This book had my heart beating with so much adrenaline that at one point I had to stop the CD and walk some of that energy out.

The story was very fast paced and with some books that  can be a bad thing but with this I think that If they story had been any longer it would have dragged.  All the important scenes were there and they were all relevant.  I loved all the imagery that the author used.  I could feel how closed in everything was in the enclave and I could feel how Deuce felt when she finally went to Topside and how overwhelming it all was.

I really liked Deuce and Fade.  I don’t quite buy their romance yet but I can see where they might develop it later on.  It just felt forced in the beginning and when he kissed her I was confused.  I wanted them to be more partners than a couple but again I can see where they would make a great couple I just need more convincing.  I really hope that the triangle that began ends with this book.  I don’t see Deuce as the type to play two guys so I really hope that she lets one of them down very soon.  I also liked Tegan and Stalker, well I liked Stalker eventually and I can’t fault him for his actions in the past seeing as how he had to control his gang.  He doesn’t get a pass from me, but I won’t condemn him for it.  I liked how he owned up to his past and agreed to starting over.  He shows that he can adjust, learn and adapt.  Tegan oh my poor Tegan.  I really hope everything turns out okay with her in the next book. I don’t think Fade can take another death.

Overall I really enjoyed this book.  I thought the story was amazing and my heart hurt over all the things that happened.  I cannot wait to read the next one and see if their new salvation is as good as it looks.

I also want to mention that I enjoyed the audio version of this book.  I thought the voice that read the story was brilliant.  I totally fell into the story and every time she stopped to take a breath I couldn’t wait for her to start reading again.  Thank you to Macmillan audio for sharing this great audio book!

                                                        5 HUGE snowflakes
                                            05.png

Find the Author:
Twitter   Goodreads   Website   Facebook


0 comments:

Post a Comment